Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Havasu

Default Havasu

Hi all,
    Went to Lake Havasu this last weekend for some bass fishing, stayed over at cattail cove which I have done a few times before. The weekend provide beautiful weather and good fishing on Saturday. Sunday was tough due to a bass tournament, so my fish really shut down form the boat traffic. I saw plenty of small mouth bass staging in about 10 to 12 ft of water. Water vis is about 15 ft. water temp was 58 and as the day went on climbed to almost 60. All small mouth bass were caught on the west side of the lake between bluegill island and the pump station. My best catches came on points that i really had to sneak up on that had really big rocks going into the water. I got about five fish the first day with three 3+ smallies and a pb 4 lbs toad that i was super stoked to land. The last two years I have had some heart break and lost big smallies at the boat. Fish were caught between 5 and 20 ft. on brown and green 3/8 oz jig w/green craw trailers, watermelon red flake creature and 4 in robo oxblood, 6 and 8 lbs flouro. Havasu has always been real tough for me so hopefully I provided some good info so you can catch a biggun.

Tight lines

Thanks for the detailed report, it is nice too hear about the bite out there.

Nice report, I was there on Feb. 12, and 13, seen nothing and caught nothing, this was my second trip to the Colorado river. The first time was Katherienes landing, the wind was a howling, so I went to Willow beach the next day, after 2 days of fishing / trolling up and down the river I finally landed 3 stripers. Last trip was the cattail cove trip. Thinking that I need to wait until the weather gets warmer and the fish increase in their activity.
    I would like information on fishing Blyth for the Cat Fish... Not sure if I should take the 17 foot 2 stroke or the 18.7 foot 4 stroke? Wanting to try fishing these coves and canals that I have heard about but have not yet seen.

The weather is warm now, it was close to 90 this last weekend. I didn't even fish any cages, everything was on the points fishing uphill. Every good point on the west side has some submerged brush on one or both sides of it. Plenty of fish shallow, maybe if I would have used a 1/4 jig or drop shot on the second day I might have gotten more bites, I hate drop shooting, oh well. Sorry don't have any info on Blyth.

Nice work out there! Glad you got into those nice smallies

I am planning on a 4 day trip leaving this Wednesday night and staying till Sunday noonish, where is the recommendations? Cattail cove, willow beach or Kathrines?, last report was that Blythe was still too cold for the cats, and I think the water is low as well, but having never been there yet I do not know. I don't want to waste the time & $ for a no fish weekend again. I was considering on Blythe to scout the area out for the warmer months, but if the AZ area is biting, then it would be worth the trip. Please... any info would be greatly appreciated. Been off the water for about 6 weeks now and I'm joanzin to get out!

River surface temp 64 and lakes 65-66 at Yuma. Lake Martinez, Mittry, Imperial dam and Squaw Lake are fishing good with few sand bars visible on the river as it is way up. Use Google Earth to view the area.