Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 1 dead , 3 injured swept off king harbor breakwall

Default 1 dead , 3 injured swept off king harbor breakwall

Thursday, February 25, 2016 12:18PM

REDONDO BEACH, Calif. (KABC) --
    One man was killed and his three companions injured when powerful waves knocked them off their feet and into the ocean in Redondo Beach Wednesday night as high surf pounded the coast.

Harbor Patrol officers rushed to King Harbor around 11:15 p.m. after witnesses reported people in the water calling for help. They were able to pull two men and two women from the waves at the base of the jetty, but one man was pronounced dead at the scene.

The three others were transported to Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in serious condition.

One patrol officer fell into the water during the rescue but he was not hurt.

Chief Mark Winter of the Redondo Beach Fire Department said the four victims were out on the break wall when they were washed off the jetty.

"I saw the guy in between the rocks yelling for help, and then I realized what had happened. Big waves were coming over the water breaker and I knew they got knocked off," witness Jaime Derry said.

The male victim has not been identified pending notification of next of kin.

A high surf advisory was issued Wednesday and is in effect through Thursday night. Beachgoers are warned of dangerous waves from 8 to 12 feet, rip currents and possibly minor flooding.

I probably saw them last weekend fish the same outer wall.... Vietnamese or latino guys usually fish there for calicos till midnite..... I even spoke to one last week from my boat......they in dark clothing and only a single headlight /lamp if that.. crazy dangerous and someone paid the price..

its not the first occurrence there from wat I remember.r about 7 guys swept off long wall in the 90s....; part of the reason why they banned fishing off the short break closest to the pier .....was hot spot for bonito in the days.....