Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2/27 fishing for trout or bass

Default 2/27 fishing for trout or bass

Heading out to big bear with the family this weekend and since i had my fishing gear ready from fishing in the OC id figure i give big bear a try. Never fished out here and was wondering if any one would help with some tips on baid, species to target and maybe a spot to go. I really like fishing for bass and maybe someone can help with a small stream or rive that runs up there with good bass? Thanks in advance for any help, remember tight lines.

Spots can vary depending on time of year and temperature. Fishing spots for trout tend to be along north shore drive or by the dam. Try to avoid shoreline that doesn't have much of a drop. Some spots stay shallow a ways out. I've always had luck where it looks like it drops in depth fairly quickly. When its colder they can also be on the other side of the lake around stanfield cutoff. I feel like the weather has been getting warm faster than usual so I'm not sure where they are at right now. Typically this time of year they are closer to stanfield.

Best baits as the usual for trout. Your favorite powerbait colors (mine tend to be rainbow and chartruese), and 1/2 nightcrawler inflated. Leader length can vary but I tend to find a leader around 2 feet is best. Jigs and lures can work well around the dam some days. It gets deep fast at the dam so fishing off the bottom doesn't always work well.

As for bass, I've caught some on the inflated crawlers but I've never specifically targeted them so I don't have much advice there.

Hi I'm Dale . I would go with 4 pound test Green or clear and maybe a 2 pound test leader if you cant get bit on the 4 pound . Use a sliding egg sinker with a 16 inch leader . Power bait , inflated worms . eggs and a marshmallow to float it , with the power bait use the rainbow its got 3 colors and you can use just one color if its the hot color . The bite should be better in the after noon due to cold water . Bass should be better in june and thru summer months . Dress very warm . Lures can work and you can cast while you soak the bait , I would fish the north shore ( more access ) and parking . Bring a adventure pass .

I had good luck this winter on the North side of the lake near the dam. Maybe a 1/4 mile from from the dam.

Trout liked garlic pb and nightcrawlers. They were pretty close to shore in December.

Quote Originally Posted by CityAngler View Post
    I had good luck this winter on the North side of the lake near the dam. Maybe a 1/4 mile from from the dam.

Trout liked garlic pb and nightcrawlers. They were pretty close to shore in December.
    Can you guys tell me what time the bite is at currently? like 7-10am, or 12pm-5pm? Thanks!

7 to 10am is when I scored the most fish in early and mid December. However I don't think the afternoon would be bad either.

7 to 10am is when I scored the most fish in early and mid December. However I don't think the afternoon would be bad either.
    Thank you!

stick to the trout unless you have a boat with a FF, tons of patience, and would be happy to catch just one bass... I was there last weekend fishing from shore and didn't bring any trout gear, didn't get a bite and felt kinda stupid even trying for bass toward the end of the trip...

Did you catch any trout OP?

Did you catch any trout OP?
    second request. i'm going up this weekend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast