Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hskerrod Lays a DVL Egg (2/17)

ok rod now I wanna know about the boat crash test dummies, please tell me more

Quote Originally Posted by muskyman View Post
    ok rod now I wanna know about the boat crash test dummies, please tell me more
    One was looking right..one was looking left...full throttle.....right up on to...through...and up into the brush on the shoreline. Their was five feet from the back of the boat/motor/prop to the waters edge. they had a helluva time getting the boat back in the water, but after much pulling and pushing they were off again.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRod View Post
    One was looking right..one was looking left...full throttle.....right up on to...through...and up into the brush on the shoreline. Their was five feet from the back of the boat/motor/prop to the waters edge. they had a helluva time getting the boat back in the water, but after much pulling and pushing they were off again.
    I would've bought tickets to see that, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Baja1ab View Post
    I would've bought tickets to see that, lol.
    I had a front row seat. I was so in awe of what just happened I almost grabbed a handful of mackerel thinking it was popcorn

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRod View Post
    It had been since last april since I had been to DVL. Had high hopes as my fairwell to the lake saw many days with fish counts in the low to high teens before it shutdown to privates. Decided to lock in a DVL rental on half priced Wednesday and got ready for a great day. First off, was shocked at how low the lake was. It was low last april, but has even got lower since then. Islands have popped up out of no where and old coves I fish no longer exist. To put it all in perspective, let me explain what the quarry situation was. To enter I had to trim up the motor and maneuver carefully. Once in the quarry you could see a huge rock point that extends right up the middle running east and west that is still underwater but very visible. Basically the whole south section of the quarry you could see bottom with a line of rock right down the middle. The north side you couldn't see bottom.

Tried many tactics and techniques and did a lot of scouting. Basically left no "turn unstoned", "no nook uncrannied" and tried about everything in the tackle bag. Hey, Im no "tourni tough guy" but I have a lot of experience at DVL and lets just say I left with my tail between my legs. Sort of my "MO" for DVL. Either I get skunked and have terrible days or wipe them out. I guess today would classify as a bad day on the catching front, but I picked up good intel and had a good time "fishing".

Tips:

-water temp was 59 degrees on the east end and I found pockets of 63 degree water on and around the west side
    -saw many cruisers especially in the quarry
    -their is absolutely no structure left in that lake in the form of cover i.e. wood, bushes, brush, etc. Still plenty of drop offs and rocky bottom, but structure...forget about it.
    -the rental was nice. I got a regular bass boat with no electronics and trolling motor (brought my own depth finder) and the engine ran fine and the boat kept the water out versus in

All in all, the place is beautiful as heck and very quiet. I was at one point actually looking for someone to talk to. Did not get within ear shot of anyone all day. Quiet is an understatement. Also the fire department is practicing with a new toy. Its a prop plane that has props that rotate so the plane can drop straight down like a helicopter. The plane was practicing water pickups and drops.............careful with that water buddy, we need every drop.

Hey, today was skunk but im sure next time will be better.
    I was there this Wednesday with my buddy. I got 10 and my bud got 8. The bite was off the hook! We got the bass boat with the trolling motor. I'll be back there soon. And i even got a smallmouth bass lol
    Last edited by Antares Sonozaki; 02-25-2016 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Smallmouth bass

Quote Originally Posted by Antares Sonozaki View Post
    I was there this Wednesday with my buddy. I got 10 and my bud got 8. The bite was off the hook! We got the bass boat with the trolling motor. I'll be back there soon. And i even got a smallmouth bass lol
    Congratulations on a great trip!!!

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Congratulations on a great trip!!!
    Thank you etucker! I love dvl this time of year. It's almost to easy lol.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	47873

HuskerRod:
    I agree that a lot of the cover is now rock reef and some grass lines. I still have found tree lines though. I don't think the trees you see now and the ones previously submerged suddenly end on a hill side. It is just new tree lines that must be found ;). Also a lot of the new cover consists of tumble weeds.

Keep the thread going boys. A lot of good info going up and good success. Good points stinkbait and great job out there Antares.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12