Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power bait secret?

Default Power bait secret?

I finally made a trip to Santa Ana river lake! Arrived at 0600 and was completely shock that the waiting line was all the way out to the street. Anyways. I was fishing at the smaller lake and I realize 5 hrs later I haven't had a single bite. I can't see people from the other side catching them. I'm using a 4lb test line and a very light trout equipment. What's the secret? Is there a way you need to roll the powerbait? Am I fishing on the wrong side? Please give me some feed back. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lunker-hunter209 View Post
    I finally made a trip to Santa Ana river lake! Arrived at 0600 and was completely shock that the waiting line was all the way out to the street. Anyways. I was fishing at the smaller lake and I realize 5 hrs later I haven't had a single bite. I can't see people from the other side catching them. I'm using a 4lb test line and a very light trout equipment. What's the secret? Is there a way you need to roll the powerbait? Am I fishing on the wrong side? Please give me some feed back. Thanks
    If no one is catching anything around you move!!!!!! Try casting out at different distances, very close and very far. Keep re casting every 20 minutes. Pull the far one in a little closer, and cast the close one in a little further till they meet. If no bites in another 2 hours move again. I always like to Boat dock area on the North and West bank but hate the East bank where the boats are. Good Luck!!!

PS On the color of the powerbait, chartreuse and rainbow are always good colors and just roll it in a ball. (add scent if you have any)

Hey. Thanks for the advice. You see the thing was everyone was catching fish but one side wasn't. I was just confuse. Do trout focus only particular side?

Hey. Thanks for the advice. You see the thing was everyone was catching fish but one side wasn't. I was just confuse. Do trout focus only particular side?
    Very much so!!! Trout and other freshwater species will tend to school up in one particular area. It's great if your in the chosen spot, it's horrible if you get to just sit and watch!!!!!

Yeah they'll definitely school up. The school can move throughout the day and where they like to hangout can change from day to day or stocking to stocking.

What's always worked best for me with powerbait is using a small hook size 16 or 18 and rolling the ball just big enough to float the hook, it has to float or it's no good. You can experiment with leader length as well 18"-24" is standard imo, but in clearer or grassy water I like to use longer and if it's really murky ill do down to 12".

Ok thanks guys!! I also notice that people roll their power bait in a worm shape. Is that effective ?

Ok thanks guys!! I also notice that people roll their power bait in a worm shape. Is that effective ?
    I think that is moving towards more exotic stuff. There are guys that swear by all sorts of stuff. Hell I used to have every color and roll my own special color combos. After trying a bunch of stuff I don't think it matters a whole lot. I think the small ball is the most consistent but there's no harm trying different things!

Sometimes when the powerbait stuff isn't working, I'll switch to mice tails. The white head and orange tailed mice tails works well for me also. Also like some have mentioned, i change up cast distances and will also change leader lengths as well.

I have been more productive using the active fishing method as opposed to passive method( sit and wait power bait)for trout using such bait like mice tail as mentioned above, mini jigs and drop shotting trout worm. Consider using 2lb test when using minijigs it makes the bait swim more naturally and also casts the bait out further. I also like to move around more trying to locate fish rather than hoping and wishing for the fish to come to you.

Definitely try a pole with a mouse tail and a pole with PB. My fav PB is gulp chartreuse with garlic smelly jelly. Many a trout have seen their demise with this combo. I always use 2 lb flouro, with a leader no more than 12". The longer leaders only seem to work at lakes with really clear water, like the Sierras. And for sure move around if you aren't getting bit. You could sit in one spot for 12 hours and the school may never move by you. Sometimes when its really going off you can see the school move by watching the hookups moving along the shore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast