Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Blyth catfish?

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    In California you can conceal carry a weapon while fishing. In Arizona you can open carry a weapon no permit required.
    I trust your knowledge of the law. But why don't you explain in plainer English what conceal and open carry means for the layman fishermen.

There is a California Penal Code law that allows anglers to carry a gun while fishing and while hiking to and from their angling site. California Penal Code, Section 12025, prohibits carrying concealed firearms in California, but Section 12027 provides the following exemption to this prohibition: "Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing expedition." Remember that some areas that allow fishing, such as state and national parks, and some incorporated areas where fishing is allowed prohibit the possession of any firearm.

etucker concealed means that the weapon is concealed/hidden from view (hidden under clothing, in a fanny pack or bag) and legal only with a permit (CCW). Open carry is the weapon is open or in plain view as being carried in a holster on a belt outside your clothing and visible to the public. The wizards in Sacramento have outlawed open carry in California (open carry scares the libs). In Arizona it is legal to open carry in the state and has been so for many many years. I always conceal carry when fishing unless it is posted as prohibited (some state and national parks).
    Last edited by DEVOREFLYER; 03-29-2016 at 06:52 PM.

General overview of California Law.

The Big Three laws regarding possession of firearms in California are as follows:

1) You may not carry a concealed (or "concealable") firearm in any public place or in the passenger area of your car (PC 25400). Handguns must be locked and out of reach during transport.
    2) You may not carry a loaded firearm within any incorporated city (PC 25850), and
    3) You may not "open carry" any sort of firearm (handgun, rifle or shotgun) outside of your vehicle within any incorporated city (PC 26350 & PC 26400). Since 2013, California is no longer an "open carry" state. You may still, however, carry an unloaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle, e.g. in a gun rack.

Of course, these rules make allowances for police officers, military personnel, and licensed security guards to carry firearms as necessary. There are also some common-sense exceptions to allow for things like shooting competitions, hunting, target ranges, gun buy-back programs, licensed "concealed carry", etc.

Some of the exceptions are less intuitive, but still make sense. For example, these rules do not apply inside your own residence, place of business or other property that you own or lawfully possess. You may also transport an unloaded gun between any of those places. "Residence" includes any temporary residence, such as a campsite or hotel room (you may possess loaded and concealed weapons while camping). You may even carry a loaded / concealed gun at your office if you own the place or you have your boss's permission to do so.

PC 25400 does not apply while a person is fishing, but PC 25850 does. Essentially, this means that you may carry a concealed weapon while fishing, but the gun may not be loaded within city limits. If you are fishing outside of city limits, you may carry a loaded, concealed handgun.

Why, thank you DF, you are simply awesome! So for the record - while fishing on the River near Blythe, I am allowed to have a hand gun in my pocket or in my boat while on the river, and I can also carry said Firearm while I am in my camp site? As I drive a truck and therefore do not have a trunk, can I carry the Magazine in the glove box with the ammo in the Mag, while the hand gun is locked in a locked compartment on the boat, which I am towing to and from the river?

Quote Originally Posted by Durdy Daug View Post
    Why, thank you DF, you are simply awesome! So for the record - while fishing on the River near Blythe, I am allowed to have a hand gun in my pocket or in my boat while on the river, and I can also carry said Firearm while I am in my camp site? As I drive a truck and therefore do not have a trunk, can I carry the Magazine in the glove box with the ammo in the Mag, while the hand gun is locked in a locked compartment on the boat, which I am towing to and from the river?
    You are good to go. Or you can have the gun with the magazine loaded but not inserted in the gun and both carried in a locked case/briefcase/pack.

Bought a lock box from Turners for $144, so I'm good to go, it doesn't fit too well under the seat, but I will have to make it work any ways. Heading out in the morning, I had spoken to the lady at B&B tackle and she asked her brother "JJ" to give me a call, which he did today, he said that he would be glad to show me around tomorrow so that I don't have to spend all day driving around tomorrow. Hoping to hook up on some fish, either tomorrow or else some time on Friday.

Well, as life would have it, I did not get to get out this morning, now my new plan is to leave in the morning again. Planning on getting out at 04:00, should get there about 09:00, at least that is what I'm hoping for... went over the boat one last time today, checking out the running lights air pressure in the tires and grease in the wheel barring's. All systems are go, now it is just a matter of packing up and driving out!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234