Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by sktruth View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought reagon elected one in an election year.
    Yes he did, his name was Robert Bork and the demorats fought and ultimately defeated his nomination and we ended up with Justice Kennedy...

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
    You are right^^^^^^after 2 denials by the senate.
    Another thing to think about is that the senate is currently on recess.
    It was said on one of the political shows that the president could potentially nominate a judge without senate approval.
    Don't know how true this is.
    The senate MUST confirm or deny a Supreme court nomination...

Quote Originally Posted by HawgZWylde View Post
    The senate MUST confirm or deny a Supreme court nomination...
    The President could appoint someone when the Senate is in recess for the duration of one Congress. That would mean next January Obama could appoint someone for one year. Not a very popular move if he did.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    The President could appoint someone when the Senate is in recess for the duration of one Congress. That would mean next January Obama could appoint someone for one year. Not a very popular move if he did.
    Yes and I have no doubt Obama will try but the Senate could and will reconvene to block him.

Wrong the Supreme Court over ruled Obama when he last tried that . The Senate is in recess when the Senate says it's in recess not when the pResident says it is. Nice try though.
    Last edited by DEVOREFLYER; 02-14-2016 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    Wrong the Supreme Court over ruled Obama when he last tried that . The Senate is in recess when the Senate says it's in recess not when the pResident says it is. Nice try though.
    Wrong!!!!!! The Senate is only in Recess in January. It's complicated, but Obama would have to wait till next January to appoint someone if he dares!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HawgZWylde View Post
    Yes and I have no doubt Obama will try but the Senate could and will reconvene to block him.
    Obama will try!!!!! The best part is for the Demorats, the Republicans will look like obstructionist to the world!!! Which will help the Demorats candidate for President.

Obama will try!!!!! The best part is for the Demorats, the Republicans will look like obstructionist to the world!!! Which will help the Demorats candidate for President.
    Nice try etucker but the law is "Settled".

The Senate, not the president, gets to decide when it's in recess and when it's not. I'm almost 100% sure that there will not be any formal Senate recess adjournments for the rest of the year.

By the way, that 2014 SCOTUS ruling (NLRB v. Canning) was 9-0 AGAINST Obama. Can't get much more decisive than that.

Can the Senate by holding pro forma sessions during which they say, “No business is to be transacted.”

Break up, what would otherwise be a long recess into a series of short breaks, too brief to allow the President to make recess appointments?

We conclude that it can.

We hold that the Senate is in session and not in recess when the Senate says, “That it is in session.”
    Last edited by DEVOREFLYER; 02-14-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
    So, typically a president will not nominate and SCOTUS justice in an election year. Bad form I guess.
    If Obama chooses too, it is likely the senate will not confirm.

Scalia was a excellent justice and responsible for the Heller descision confirming the 2A applys outside the home.
    That is 100% not true, only a Republicans wishful thinking.

Does anyone that watched the fiasco debate last night actually think any of the children arguing on stage would be a good president. Good lord that was hard to watch. No substance, all bashing and name calling. What the hell has happened to the GOP?
    Kasich is starting to sound like the only one that has a brain or is mature enough to get out of the 6th grade.
    Don't get me started on "look at my website" because I can't remember or answer a damned question Carson. It was frustrating to watch. wanted badly to learn something and only came away feeling like I needed a shower.
    The world is laughing at the sideshow that it has become and must be scared poopless that one of these guys might get in.
    They have to get it together if they want to have any chance of winning and if they don't, then the whole stall and delay everything tactic will be pointless.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast