Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kick the Dead Horse

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Kick the Dead Horse

Food for thought regarding the precious flag some on here continue to be so proud of.

The flag is a symbol of the South's Civil War rebellion. However, that past is also inextricably tied up with generations of discrimination and exploitation. The flag's original designer, William Thompson, was once quoted as saying he intended every stitch of the flag to be "emblematic" of the "heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race."

I wouldn't guess the original designer would know anything at all about what the flag symbolizes now would he? SMFH

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Food for thought regarding the precious flag some on here continue to be so proud of.

The flag is a symbol of the South's Civil War rebellion. However, that past is also inextricably tied up with generations of discrimination and exploitation. The flag's original designer, William Thompson, was once quoted as saying he intended every stitch of the flag to be "emblematic" of the "heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race."

I wouldn't guess the original designer would know anything at all about what the flag symbolizes now would he? SMFH
    That's some good information, "I know many people like to argue it's their Southern heritage." However, if it's real meaning is racism there is no place for it except in a Museum!!!

I smell the race card, Oh God....

I am proud of my family history and make no apology for having family that fought in the Civil War. They owned no slaves and had no desire or need too, in fact one was a circuit preacher and a man of God. I also make no apology for my Native American heritage and hold no animosity for what they had to endure at the hands of the white man and our government. You can’t rewrite history regardless how badly you want to. I will continue to use my avatar as a sign of FU to the PC crowd.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f2d9664d-d0e6-4f04-85f2-de17996bf269.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	47736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ySR_fyow6qqmqOvZh_Vdl7x!rjSIJocY7iAWoSsSTxhxXDEkq6lmglVVINrX6rTA.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	47737Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	47738

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    I am proud of my family history and make no apology for having family that fought in the Civil War. They owned no slaves and had no desire or need too, in fact one was a circuit preacher and a man of God. I also make no apology for my Native American heritage and hold no animosity for what they had to endure at the hands of the white man and our government. You can’t rewrite history regardless how badly you want to. I will continue to use my avatar as a sign of FU to the PC crowd.

I too had family that fought in the Civil War with not the best results. 2 great great Uncles fought together in an Indiana regiment. One was killed at the battle of Franklin and the other one was taken prisoner and ended up in Andersonville prison. So I looked closely at your ancestor's papers and saw they came from Texas. I am a bit of a student of the Civil War, so I've read many alternative history accounts of what if the South had won the Civil War. Most experts agree Texas would not have stayed in the Confederacy. In fact they would have probably expanded into Oklahoma, New Mexico and possibly Colorado and even into Mexico. So yes you can be proud you ancestors fought in the Civil War on the side of the Confederacy. However, honoring their flag and beliefs is probably a little naïve. You should (my opinion) be honoring Texas and the people who over came so much to become the State that it is!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post

The sad thing is that you don't realize that it's an even bigger FU to the 'black crowd'.
    You shouldn't be ashamed, BUT you should be smart enough to know what happened was wrong and to keep flaunting it is just a ridiculously stupid thing to do.
    By your logic, I guess all Germans should fly the Nazi flag as well. Good grief, get over your it already. You've made you point. Now you're just being an *****.

Quote Originally Posted by Theos View Post
    I smell the race card, Oh God....
    I'm as white as anybody on this board. I grew up in Texas in predominantly black neighborhoods with a lot of black friends and am married to a beautiful half black half Lebanese woman.
    I've seen a lot of hateful crap in my life and I know exactly what that damned flag stands for to any black person in the south. It's almost cost me my life from some hateful redneck a******s that wanted to stop their truck with the massive confederate flag flying from the back and try to beat me to death because I was white and walking with a group of black guy that were my friends. Thank god my friends weren't having it and kept me from being possibly killed that day.
    To flaunt it and say "the race card". Really shows where you're coming from.

I'm as white as anybody on this board. I grew up in Texas in predominantly black neighborhoods with a lot of black friends and am married to a beautiful half black half Lebanese woman.
    I've seen a lot of hateful crap in my life and I know exactly what that damned flag stands for to any black person in the south. It's almost cost me my life from some hateful redneck a******s that wanted to stop their truck with the massive confederate flag flying from the back and try to beat me to death because I was white and walking with a group of black guy that were my friends. Thank god my friends weren't having it and kept me from being possibly killed that day.
    To flaunt it and say "the race card". Really shows where you're coming from.
    "I'm as white as anybody on this board"
    "To flaunt it and say "the race card". Really shows where you're coming from"
    "I grew up in Texas in predominantly black neighborhoods with a lot of black friends and am married to a beautiful half black half Lebanese woman"
    Really ? You sound like a self loathing white man apologist, and a blind liberal racist. Your kind makes a big deal out of a flag, yet you ignore the fact that Chicago and many other liberal run cites are crime infested killing fields for black Americans on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by Theos View Post
    "I'm as white as anybody on this board"
    "To flaunt it and say "the race card". Really shows where you're coming from"
    "I grew up in Texas in predominantly black neighborhoods with a lot of black friends and am married to a beautiful half black half Lebanese woman"
    Really ? You sound like a self loathing white man apologist, and a blind liberal racist. Your kind makes a big deal out of a flag, yet you ignore the fact that Chicago and many other liberal run cites are crime infested killing fields for black Americans on a daily basis
    Who said I'm ignoring anything? That was NOT what the post was about you idiot. It was about the confederate flag and my opinion and views due to what I have experienced. What is your background to be an expert on people you know nothing about a**clown?
    As for self loathing, You don't know me. Go back into the closet racist jack***. It appears that Trump has emboldened all of your type to step out of the closet for a minute while you can to spew as much BS as possible.

DEVOREFLYER sums it up very well without the ridiculous assumptions that you seem to want to hurl around like a monkey flinging poo.
    "And at the end we have divergent opinions of the flag and it's meaning, nothing more and nothing less."

Let's switch this around and bring it to a more recent act instead of hundred plus year old crap none of us on this page even had a hand in. What about Beyonces atrocious act advertising violence and hate just a week ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast