Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Daiwa Lexa 300 Type HD - For Swimbaits?

Default Daiwa Lexa 300 Type HD - For Swimbaits?

Wanting to know if any of you guys have bought this reel, I'm looking for left hand for swimbaits.

It's either this or the older Lexa 300.

The new Lexa 300 HD has a power handle, will that be ok to use for swimbaits, or am I better off with the older Lexa 300 with paddle handles?

Also gear ratio 7.1:1 and 8.1:1, will these gear ratio's be ok for swimbaits? Freshwater applications mostly and possibly saltwater.

I have a lexa 400 (not HD) but I have it with the power handle. you can order them either way. I personally like the power handle better than the paddles. I think that that is basically what it comes down to. Its what ever works for you best. If you are looking though check out a store called Been There Caught That. They are up in Santa Maria. That's where I got mine. You can buy online and they offer free line spooling. They have all the lexa models available. As for the gear ratio again it has to do with what type of fishing you are doing and what your bait presentation style is. Over all though I would say that this is a great reel for almost any fishing (besides trout of course lol). I use mine strictly saltwater unless Im going up to the lakes for striper and then I will bring it along

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking of getting the power handle. Do you happen to cast your lures? Why I ask is I put a power handle on my Cardiff 301 and it stopped free spooling mid cast. I found out from Shimano that putting the power handle on a reel that comes equipped with paddle handles, it throws off the torque of the handle and grinds the gears. So I went back to the paddle handle.

Since you Lexa 400 has the power handle, any issue with casting?

I have the lefty Lexa 300 with the power handle & I love it. I matched it with an 8 foot 6 inshore rod & I can almost cast it as far with people with Trinidads on 9/10 foot jig sticks. If I could buy it again I would get the HD version to address the finicky thumb bar.
    Last edited by WAHBAM; 02-09-2016 at 09:53 PM.

I love mine for swimbaits. And for saltwater. I can throw tady C's and megabaits a mile with the thing. If using it for saltwater I have it spoiled with power pro slick 50lb with a 3-5 foot top shot of flouro. And I highly recommend the power pro slick. Don't backlash the real very often but when I do that stuff doesn't knots up like regular braid. If for freshwater swimbaits 20-30 lb monk depending on what works for you

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I was thinking of getting the power handle. Do you happen to cast your lures? Why I ask is I put a power handle on my Cardiff 301 and it stopped free spooling mid cast. I found out from Shimano that putting the power handle on a reel that comes equipped with paddle handles, it throws off the torque of the handle and grinds the gears. So I went back to the paddle handle.

Since you Lexa 400 has the power handle, any issue with casting?
    Ive never had any issues with casting and by the looks of it seems like everyone else has had the same results also.