Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SARL. Team 57 Kids event

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    You gave me a great idea how I can kill 2 birds with one stone. Next time they drain SARL, I'll invite some FNN"ers to come fish with me in my boat and show them how easy the trout are to catch. Then invite the same people the next year after the Shad population rebuilt itself and do the same thing and catch NOTHING!!!!!! It's a nice way to make some new friends and build up a little credibility around here!!!! lol
    Your theory has merit for holdover fish, freshly stocked trout, trout that were stocked heavily just before a tournament I'm assuming are not going to key on natural forage as much. That's my theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    I will start with the good so this doesn't come off like a whine fest.

Many thanks to Team 57 for hosting a kids Only event. This is the only reason I would have come out to SARL on a weekend. Your time and dedication hasn't gone unnoticed. Saw Team 57 members patrolling the Lakes handing out nightcrawlers and advice. And we won a raffle prize. My daughter actually won but her stuff was split up between my boys and nephews. So everyone got a piece. Plus a free hotdog lunch. You guys alright in my book. Thanks again.

Now for the Report. Parked in line at 8PM on Friday to assure a desirable spot on the lake. Got minimal sleep (as to be expected). Gates open and we are throwing up dirt and gravel on our way to Chris Pond. Setup near the outlet / net and get out rods in the water ASAP. Ready to start netting fish. Lets just stay we sorta stayed ready to net fish the entire day. There was little action anywhere on the pond. When people are trying to net and snag fish as they swim by the shore, you know it is a slow action day. Did my best to keep the boys busy. Gratefully my older nephew showed up with his girlfriend and remote control car. That kept the lil ones entertained for some time.
    We tried everything we had. I saw less than 10 fish caught and that includes the birds. I cant remember the last time I was skunked but my entire crew of 8 people caught ZERO. I went home wearing the stripes. The weather was cool and overcast, Perfect for trout. No rain in almost 2 weeks, water conditions were fine. Not the muddy mess I have seen before. I was expecting some steady action. Boy was I wrong. Got reports from reliable source that was helping out the event that the bite was slow everywhere at the Lake(s). Not sure if that was good or bad news.
    From all reports I have seen the bite has been bad for sometime. This may be a direct reflection that SARL no longer has competition. Laguna Niguel is run by the county which get DFG plants and Irvine is not stocking. No competition is bad for the consumer.
    My family had a good time (despite) the poor catching. It has been over a year since my last trip to SARL (when I used to be a regular) and I cant say I am looking to return anytime soon.
    Just counting the day until I can fish the Sierras.
    Fish On
    I was across from you i ended with 4. 2 lightnings and 2 rainbows and lost many more.. Dropshotting white power worms.. And split shotting micetails. The bite was very consistent where i was at.

Thank you guys for attending our event ! The kids had a blast !!

Quote Originally Posted by Antares Sonozaki View Post
    I was across from you i ended with 4. 2 lightnings and 2 rainbows and lost many more.. Dropshotting white power worms.. And split shotting micetails. The bite was very consistent where i was at.
    I remember seeing you land 2 lightening. Looked like a fat goldfish from across the pond. Nice job. This only confirms my point. When I was able to watch and remember who did catch fish. You know it is a slow day. I know it is fishing and no one is guaranteed fish. Luck does matter, so does local knowledge of where to fish. Gotta be at the right place at the right time with the right bait (natural, synthetic or other).
    I used to hammer them. I wont go into how many fish I would catch and release as this is not an approved practice at SARL. I can only speak of what I experienced and what was told to me. It was sloooow. A limit of fish is not a steady bite. Perhaps I have been spoiled with days when you lose track of how many fish you caught.
    My kids had fun and that is all they will remember. I call that a Good Day. And I saw the Goodyear blimp, It read Ice Cube is a pimp. (NWA)

Quote Originally Posted by blakeb View Post
    Attachment 47715
    What's gooooood see you saturday
    We got a 11 that day and I got this 11.5 also
    You guys put on a clinic, watched you catch that moose. Nicely done!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12