Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Finally going to fish the famous Colorado River! Hoping to make it this Thursday!

Default Finally going to fish the famous Colorado River! Hoping to make it this Thursday!

Well the long wait is nearly done, I plan on leaving the IE on Thursday about 12:00, head out to Katherienes Landing for my very first river trip! The plan is to start off at Katherienes Landing and then troll down (or up) to cottonseed cove, and willow beach, gonna bring along a whole lot of coffee and try for some marathon fishing at least 18 hour stretches, for striper, and catfish. Striper on the troll and cutting the daylight hours and then Catfish once the sun goes down. Planning th put the boat lights on and drop 2 box anchors dieting the night, chill and wait for the sound of line stripping off the reels. This will hopefully be just the first of many throughout the year... I am hopeful that the catching will be more fast paced then the lakes of So Cal... At least how it has been for the past 9 months anyhow!

Fish the power lines before Cottonwood marina, you'll see what I mean they cross the lake good luck

Are you going alone or did you find a partner in crime??

Well, as you all can see, I've been off line for a little while now. Yes, I did go it alone. Had a good time, even though the fish did not join me. Next trip I hope to fish out of Blythe... PM me if interested in joining...

John, can't seem to get in touch with you, you leave a message, and then I leave a message... Well I am going to Blythe on Thursday morning, going to stay out there till Sunday, hoping to get on some fish, not sure what kind, but I really don't care that much, this trip is a recon trip to see what there is out that way, and then plan for the warmer months, you are more than welcome to join us, me and a coworker will be roughing it in a tent and then fishing off the 17'er. Handles better in shallow water! Going to try my luck at live bait for the first time in fresh water! Hope to get a cat or 2 to cooperate with me. Got this wild idea on using a 2 hook apparatus, the first hood with a type of "Stink Bag" to attract and the second with a Sardine chunk, or perhaps the whole sardine on a big hook! Give me a call, you have my home and cell #'s.

I have found that on the river bloody chicken liver contained in a piece of your wife's panty hose works great (don't use a pair of good ones though). Or a chunk of ripe Shrimp, but I hate to use $9+ bait for $2 fish...lol

Thanks again DF, when are you going to join me? Thank you again for working on my electronics back in December! I ended up buying the "Sonar Doctor" to set up my Elite 5 & 7, I also ended up hiring a guide to go over the fish finders, turned out to be a mute point as he said that they were already set up as he would have done it. I should have let well enough alone, but unfortunately, I am always 2nd guessing everything!

So what you are saying is to not use a $200 Deps side swimmer to catch a 2# Striper? Oh well too late, as I already did that! Cast out the lure when the outside temp was a blasting 18 degrees. My line froze to the guides soon after I made the long cast, while I was wearing gloves, so I'm sure that you can guess what happened next ... Yup, BIG birds nest... I was really panicking as I ripped off the gloves and franticly tried picking the line out... The $200 lure had plenty of time resting at the bottom of30 feet of ice cold water. And no, the striper were mot interested in a frozen "Troutsicle" Go figure!
    The "Sting Bag" that I was referring to actually does consist of using a pair of the wife's leggings. I am planning on using tis new stink stuff called "Seven?" Bought it from BPS.

Devoreflyer is spot on with the shrimp... Also what works well for me in the Havasu area is mackrel. Not the freezer burned kind you buy at the baitshop. Fresh frozen from the pier works like a charm for the big kitties. If you need some and are local to me in Diamond Bar, I can give you a ziplock baggie to try out. One small ziplock bag chuncked out will last two guys the entire night. I was up there last weekend and the cats are not too active yet. The water was a bit cold. Stripers on the other hand were tearing up cut anchovies from shore. Good luck out there...

Awesome, I will more than likely use sardines and possibly anchovies this time out, as this will be my first time in that area. Thank you for the offer! I can also go to an Asian food store and pick up some fresh dead mackerel, but not on this trip! Hoping to hook up on striper, crappie or bass, just want to get a bend in the stick! I don't eat fish, so the kind that bites don't really matter too much.
    Just like Golf, many play the game, but none that I know eat their Golf balls!