Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Fishing Stocking Day

Default Fishing Stocking Day

Just getting into fishing the local lakes for stocked trout.
    I've been fishing a Carolina rigged setup with a 2lb fluro leader that ranges between 6-14" with powerbait, worms, mice tails.
    Never fished a day in which they were actually stocking fish.
    On these days, do you fish any different than you normally would on a non stocked day?

I've fished mammoth a couple times and out there we fished bubbles with a leader and pinched night crawlers.

Do any of you use this setup for our locally stocked lakes? Does it work?

thanks for looking!

No need to fish different the day of or after a stock.

I usually don't fish bait for these stockers, but with your set-up, you'll be fine. I've used the bubble (clear splasher) with leader on NC and PB and it works for these stock lakes as well.

If you're one that doesn't want to bait and wait, I suggest throwing mini-jigs for these stockers.

Good luck out there

Quote Originally Posted by Nuoc Mam View Post
    No need to fish different the day of or after a stock.

I usually don't fish bait for these stockers, but with your set-up, you'll be fine. I've used the bubble (clear splasher) with leader on NC and PB and it works for these stock lakes as well.

If you're one that doesn't want to bait and wait, I suggest throwing mini-jigs for these stockers.

Good luck out there
    Nuoc, thank you for your reply! If you don't mind me asking, what technique do you use when you fish the locally stocked trout?
    When fishing mini-jigs, what size/color mini jig are you using and are you using the clear bubble with it?

Ditto on the minim jigs. Also try spinners like Roostertails and Panther Martins. Great lures for any day, but freshly planted fish seem to hit those better than bait.

Quote Originally Posted by BiggetyBones View Post
    Nuoc, thank you for your reply! If you don't mind me asking, what technique do you use when you fish the locally stocked trout?
    When fishing mini-jigs, what size/color mini jig are you using and are you using the clear bubble with it?
    I use size 1/64 white/yellow or baby frog mini jig. Sometimes trout worms as well. Just traditional jig and stop with mini jig. Sometimes dead stick the trout worm. As for the clear bubble, haven't really fished that setup for quite some time now. Usually just stick to mini jig, rooster tails or kastmasters. But lately been taking the fly rod out for these stockers.

Nuoc Mam

Flyfishing for the stockers can be more fun than everyone thinks......bead headed zebra midges with a strike indicator is my fav way. Easy to C&R many fish a day.

Biggety, you won't need a fly rod to fish this way either. Just do the fly and bubble set up and you'll be fine. It can be better at times when you want to cast further out to explore a

bigger area from one place. Just remember to use a long 2# leader.

Have Fun !

TTFM

TTFM that's what I use. Head headed zebra midge in black/silver or black/red. Just got into tying them this year haha and yeah, it is fun to catch these stockers on that fly setup. Caught my fair share of trout of spinning tackle so it's nice to change it up a bit with the fly rod