Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Running out of patience, need to get in a day of screamin drags!

Default Running out of patience, need to get in a day of screamin drags!

Well, here is the $64,000 question, well in fact several questions... I went online to AC plugs, they have a whole lot of choices for the "Hand made plugs" I do not know which ones that I should get, model, size and color... I want to troll for stripers on the river or whatever body of water associated with the Colorado. I was thinking of Blyth, simply due to travel distance, but I will go the extra distance if it is worth the effort. I called "Katherienes landing" yesterday, they told me that it is slow right now... I don't want to make the long drive (weekend) for sight seeing, I want to get on fish! Any more suggestions on when my earliest chances would be? Boat is going into the shop tomorrow morning for downrigger, and digital tachometer installation. Should be up and mothering in a week or two at the latest. Been trying to get some one of my friends to join me, but they are reluctant to go as I have no idea what I'm doing! I keep saying, you will never figure it out till you just go for it! Well, now I'm going to do just that, but hopefully with some advise!

I'll call you tomorrow!
    ---Mike

Awesome, can't sleep, therefore, here I am browsing the web, (well FNN @ least). Going to ask the shop to speed up on the service and hopefully get the boat out of the shop as early as Friday morning, I'm thinking of hitting the wood hard this weekend, try out the new upgrades and then if all goes well hit the river next weekend leaving here @ 05:00 to hopefully beat traffic on the pass and get camp set up then get a little night fishing in Friday, then hit it again Saturday @ 06;00, fish till just after dark, sleep a few hours and do it again on Sunday morning till about 12;00 break down camp and start the long trip home!
    Well I will know more after BPS this morning how things stack up. Call me on the cell after 07:00. Only way to scratch this itch, is to get out there and go for it. Been thinking of fishing the river for over a year. Now is the time to get er done!

I have fished both willow and cottonwood. Fishing from either is hit or miss. From willow I have fished from a floattube and a kayak. It is a little tough to kick upstream in the tube but I have caught stripers from the beach at willow upstream to mile marker 54(willow is at 52). They weren't big ones;two 4lbers and a 7lber on an LA slider. I have also got one 6lber on an AC plug. However I have seen bigger ones caught from boats that were trolling. With the weather nice and cool the stripers are all up and down the river to lake Mohave. As the weather gets warmer they migrate up to the cool water coming off the dam. Check out AC's website on the forums. There is a guy that consistently gets big ones. He and a buddy got two in the teens last week.
    As far as cottonwood goes you can travel both upstream and down into lake Mohave real easy. Upstream is Aztec wash and placer cove that have action around them. Also by the powerlines which is close to them.Down stream the lake has all kinds of possibilities. One of my biggest(21lbs 11oz) came from the shore south of cottonwood back when they used to stock trout there. Check out Nevada's dept. of wildlife fish reports(ndow.org) for more info. If it isn't current check out the Review Journal sports page on Thursdays for the current fish report. Last I read was that there was some boils on shad. There is camping at both willow and cottonwood. Good luck.

Thanks, I hope that the boat gets finished this Friday, if it does, then I'm going this weekend, if not then it's next weekend for sure!

What do you know about "Kathrienes landing"?

Never been down there. I may try to get there this year when the stripers are really boiling and the largemouth are more active.

As always, regardless of the action, if I go I will send out a post! I might get lucky and get the AC plugs in the mail before departure. That would be quite unreadable and EVERYTHING will have to line up exactly, boat finished in time, plus the plugs arriving quickly in the mail, don't know if that is just too much to hope for!

What size mono should I troll with on the downrigger?

AC plugs has a forum, you can gather info. there. Also big fish tackle Nevada is a decent place for info. (http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/N...g_General_F42/).