Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod for Torium 20 ?

Default Rod for Torium 20 ?

Just bought a shimano torium 20 for local and islands.
    Any thoughts on a good all around stick for bait, iron etc. ?

What's your price range?
    What lb test are you looking to fish?

Calstar 800m is a good all around local rod for that reel for bait and iron on 30-40lb. 30lb for bait/iron. 40lb for iron.
    An 800ml would be a really good 25-30lb rod (and might be my choice). Would be good for bait and light iron. But the torium 20 might feel a little big on it, not sure.
    A lot of other companies make similar rods in lower price ranges as well.

I have a bunch of Penn Bluewater carnage rods in just about all of the popular west coast models that calstar makes.
    They are a fraction of the price, but that particular series is discontinued (although mostly still available).

There's so many good rods out there that you will probably get a lot of different answers.
    Last edited by midgettosser1; 01-24-2016 at 10:05 AM.

Looking to fish 65lb braid with a variety of top shots

Phenix Black Diamond 809h was a good all around rod for me. Perfect for a torium 20.

Thanks jagger

No problem. I used this rod for everything. Live bait, threw the iron, big Krocs and have caught tuna, yt, bonners and dodo's. I've fished it with a avet sx, mxj, jx, and even my abu revo toro nacl. It kinda became my whatever I needed it for rod after I picked up my hybrids. Can go wrong with it. Never had one break on me, but replacement fee is cheap, and you can always sell it within a day or two if you wanted to go a different route. Everyone looks for this rod come tuna season.

Check out the new Teramars. Solid rod at a great price. I'd suggest the 80 mh or 90mh.

I use a calstar 700 h with that stick for a dedicated 40 lb. yoyo. I don't like throwing yoyo iron on rods with lighter tips better suited for bait even though you probally could. I have another torium 20 I use for 30 lb. bait rods like calstar 700m, seeker d-8, even a trevala mh. The new 20 hg is smaller profile and very versatile so it can go on anything from a 6.5 ft trevala to a long jig stick. Good to have at least 2 setups...1 lighter for bait, 1 heavier for yo you or surface iron w. 40 lb. imho.

I would also recommend the Phenix 809H also. Its a perfect all around rod for everything. Also if you would want to go somewhat cheaper is the Phenix Axis rods. They have slightly soft tips but all around rod too. I have the Phenix Axis HAX-820MH rated 20-45 lb test.

Bought the cal star 800m. Love the ergonomics and feel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast