Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Nother time

Default Nother time

Well my son and his friend are wanting to give it a try @ the wood tomorrow, soooooo, I charged the batteries, reprogrammed the fish finders according to the suggestions from Doctorsonar. Can't wait to see how much of a difference that will make! The new down rigger came in the mail, so off to the shop on Tuesday, my expectations are pretty high, they are also going to upgrade my tachometer to a digital model, which is supposed to reduce my idle speed to right about 2 mph, which should be ideal for trollin for the stripers! Won't know till I get the work done and test it out. I am additionally planning for my first trip to the river possibly start with Havasu (can't spell it), I figure that will be a good starting point. I have heard different stories about license concerns, I guess that the best thing will be to just start at a bait store near the launch site, ask there and follow that route. Also going to try looking around the web for possible launch landings and if anything is on the chew. Shooting to start with February 5th weekend, weather it will be worth while or not - won't know till I go!
    As always, any advise will be appreciated...

Head to Willow Beach and take some very large swimbaits with you. Some 8 to 12 inch AC Plugs and such. You can order some off Alan Coles Web-Site and get a up to date River report from there.

Dsrtrtse

Cool, the wood had a lot of boats on the water today - tournament... The fish played hard to get though. Several guys I talked to said they were "skunked" the tournament guys caught some (no idea how many) but again several not in the tournament caught nothing. I put 2 anchors down at the buey line, but nothing biting, a few were tied up, but even they could not get a bite. Worked on my fish finders, they looked a whole lot clearer, (not so much clutter), but I did not see even 1 arch, I set them for shallow water (30 feet and less), as advised by doctorsonar. Think I may revise that to 60 feet, maybe I will see more life down there.
    Willow beach, that is in Arazona, isn't it? I am really leaning at starting my river experience out of Blyth. Less of a drive for me, and I will not be concerned about any license issues. Would the 2nd week of February be too soon to get into the bite? I really want to check it out, but I'm not very excited about getting skunked after such a long hall.
    Oh yeah, I did pick up 1 LMB today, my son and his friend got skunked and were ready to call it a day @ 10:00. Managed to put them off till 15:00.
    Any info on the river around Blyth, like what's biting when and on what?

If you are bait fishing, spend an hour looking for bait and arches. Even 5mph will help you mark spots. Then work on those spots bait fishing. If one spot is not biting, move. I keep moving until I find the fish. The buoy line is easy to go to but I've never fished the buoy line at silver wood and can normally get a few stripes. Also try different depths. Some days deep some days shallow.

Lastly, if bait fishing get the freshest sardines you can find. It makes a huge difference. Get the ones from Asian markets.

Just ordered $300 of AC plugs, think I may have retired, the ones I bought "float" thinking a slow sink would be better???

i have a few ac plugs. most important since they are hand made is that they swim straight, so run them by the side of your boat and watch their wiggle and make adjustments. there are better plugs out there. but they do well at willow beach. he mainly trolls them, so the float work fine. willow beach if i remember correctly doesnt get much deeper than 30 feet and his plugs run at about 15 feet down.

Blythe is good for catfish in the river and in the back sloughs its bass. You are going to have to go to Havasu at the least and Willow Beach is really the home for stripers on the river. Sorry dude but maybe you might want to also try Castaic or Pyramid for stripers and get some more time under your belt until you can really address those big stripers on the river for now. Once you start catching regularly, then those "long hauls" are not so bad. Just my take

Quote Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post
    i have a few ac plugs. most important since they are hand made is that they swim straight, so run them by the side of your boat and watch their wiggle and make adjustments. there are better plugs out there. but they do well at willow beach. he mainly trolls them, so the float work fine. willow beach if i remember correctly doesnt get much deeper than 30 feet and his plugs run at about 15 feet down.
    also forgot to note, there are not a lot of stripers at willow beach... but the one that are there are big. real big. so its like homerun fishing. Most are double digit stripers up to like 30-40 pounds.

Hey DT, you going anytime soon?