Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbies in Alaska: Father-Son Bucket List trip (8/2015)

awesome report. glad you were able to enjoy a great trip with your dad. cant wait to hear your trips with your boy.

Probably one of the most amazing posts in a long time. The fact that you shared this trip with your Father made it all the more special.

SICKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK awesome report and pics, great job and man thats on my to do list too LOL congratulations!!!

wow. What a report. thanks for taking the time to post. Thats definitely on the bucket list for me. What medical school and residency? I'm about to start my residency here in May...

FANTASTIC! That is, just, well... awesome - in the true sense of the word.

Thanks for posting and and the inspiration/motivation to get out and explore the farther reaches of this globe.

Best,
    CD

Amazing report! Thank you very much for sharing.

Excellent report!

Thanks for the report. I know how much effort went into your post. Alaska is an amazing wilderness wonderland. Hope to get back one of these summers.
    From your report it sounds like you went up in late July or August. Props for taking the old man. I am sure you and your old man with cherish the memories forever (and then some).
    Confession: The report made me a little jealous. Wishing I could be there.

Hey everyone,

thanks for all the nice comments! yeah it really was a great adventure and Alaska is just beautiful... the scenery is spectacular, the fishing is just that much more amazing when you're surrounded by the mountains, glaciers, rivers, etc... hope to get back there again someday maybe when my son is a little older...

I've received a few messages about how I booked the package, where, how much,etc. so here's some info:

yeah since it was our first time to Alaska, I looked at several different places that offered fishing packages, and I thought Bob's Cabin & Guide Services was great... especially after checking out their tripadvisor reviews... they're listed as #1 out of 37 listings and all 5-star reviews from 76 reviews so far... not too shabby!!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...na_Alaska.html

You can go to his website here: http://www.bobscabin.com/

and if you click under fishing packages (http://www.bobscabin.com/lodge/)... it depends on when you want to go, and what type of package you want. I went in mid-August and did the Yukon package (5 nights lodging, 4 days of fishing), and it was $2500/pp, so total of $5000 for my dad and I. Instead of the 2 salmon trips, I changed one of them to the Upper Kenai drift trip (which was just awesome even though we just did catch/release... the scenery and the trip is just fantastic), and I also did the fly-out trip to Crescent Lake, but they have a few other fly-out locations as well.

Basically, our 4 days of fishing was: 1 Lower Kenai salmon trip with Bob, 1 upper Kenai drift trip with a guide, 1 multi-species trip out of Seward, and 1 fly-out to Crescent lake. We just added an extra day on our own for another halibut trip out of Ninilchik on our day when we checked out.

You can basically do whatever type of trips you want, mix and match what you want, and Bob will put it together for you. You can talk to Bob directly and ask him a bunch of questions, and he'll tailor the trip to your needs. He and his wife are really friendly and go out of their way to make it a nice trip for you.

We stayed the 1st night in their main lodge (cabin) that's shared with other guests and its pretty nice in there, but after we got to stay in the private riverfront cabin, I think that's the way to go!! You could fish right off your own private dock on the river and relax there too... It's great. I hope to go back someday with my son when he gets bigger and maybe stay in one of those cabins again.

hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

@ E.A.R.G. : yeah I went to med school up at UC Davis, and did my residency in ophthalmology, went on to get a fellowship in glaucoma as well. Good luck with your residency, and the best advice for residency, is don't be afraid to ask any questions, since you're a resident only once, and always good to ask ?s during that time no matter how small/dumb you might think they are
    Last edited by dkinla; 01-22-2016 at 07:25 PM.

Looks like an amazing trip

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast