Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newport 1-15-16

Default Newport 1-15-16

What's up everybody? I took my tube out yesterday morning out at Newport. I launched from the coast guard station at 9:30am and fished until 1pm. Went 2 for 5 on the spotties. Started off throwing a small swimbait and drop shot for a few short bites. After changing baits I got 1 in the swim jig and 1 in a crankbait. I also casted off a brand new arig on my first cast and got the worst backlash of my life. Thanks for reading!

nice fish! i gotta try using my tube soon.
    question- what type of swim jig do you use? i keep hearing they work for spotties...
    that's one mean back lash for sure...it happens tho...all good.

thanks for sharing.

Thanks mad bass. This one was a 3/8 war bait jig head and skirt. I use 1/4 oz sometimes also just depends on the current and if I'm able to keep bottom contact. The trailer was a 5 in kalin grub. Sometimes I use the 3 in big hammers, double tail grubs or other creature/craw baits. The smaller baits get more bites. I usually just go low and slow with occasional hops and pauses. Good luck if you take your tube out just check the tides before you go so you know what way your gonna drift . Also the coastguard station has showers, hoses and a bathroom so you can up you hear afterwards.

Default conv. reel

congrats. on the catch.
    that bird nest is why I don.t fish Conv,s.

Thanks fishshep, I guess you could say you got to pay to play.... Lol

Nice pictures there,really reminds me how cool floatubing is,as far as that backlash goes.......no words!

Cya Tuna Vic

Brotha Jason has invited me down to give FT'ing a try and I'm also looking forward to my first SBB. (bucket list).
    All of your FT reports have been really inspiring and packed full of excellent intel!

As far as your bird's nest goes ..... I'm tongue tied! I'M SORRY .... "THE DEVIL MADE ME SAY IT"!! Ha ha ha
    Your a veteran to tube fishing and I know that you can handle such temporary set backs ... chit happens!

Thanx for all the tubing inspiration and your report,

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 01-17-2016 at 10:26 AM. Reason: sp

Thank you tunaciv, I love taking my tube out.

Thank you SP Dan for the kind words! I'm sure you will have a blast when you go out on a tube. Im sure you will connect with a sbb and cross another species off your bucket list. The birds nest has since been cut and back in working order. I would have had to call it if I didn't have a back up rig with me.

great pics. (and nice to see I'm not the only one doing bait-caster macrame!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast