Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: What are the best times of year

Default What are the best times of year

I haven't had the best luck salt water fishing out here. I think part of my problem is I'm not fishing for the right fish at the wrong times. So what are the best times of year to catch certain species?

A lot of fish can be caught year round but here is a few of the best times to catch my favorite species.
    Halibut Jan-April
    Calico and sand bass late spring-fall as long as the water is warm 60+
    bonito late summer-fall
    sculpin and nearshore rockfish late fall-spring
    corbina summer if you find the sand crabs they will be there
    surf perch spring and fall
    pelagics summer, warmer the water the better
    Yellowtail more in the summer, big ones in the winter deep
    sharks summer

if you have something in mind not listed let me know,
    Halibut right now is the best thing to target second to sculpin and shallow rockfish check the regs on what can be taken, I know rockfish is closed completely to boat based anglers Jan-Mar.

That is great imfo they are all fish I am hoping to catch.

I agree with your chart of when to fish. Great info. Since Halibut is on the top of your list of this time of year, would you share some general locations out of Dana point that might be hot. Our problem is identifying the structure on our fish finder for Halibut. We have fished flat bottoms near rocks and had some luck, but I can't seem to identify sandy/flat bottoms where I know the lay and wait to attack a bounced bait. Thanks in advance for any additional help you can share
    God Bless Tight lines

I actually catch most of my halibut from shore or from piers, but if I had a boat I would set up drifts just off of the reefs. Shallow or deep side. If you can hit the wind just right and drift parallel to the rocks it's game on nearly every time. I like to use a dropper loop with just enough weight to feel the bottom dragging a small sardine or large chovie, small mackerel I hear work great for the big guys. As for specific spots, I got nothing but I would start just south of San Clemente pier in about 70ft of water and work the outside of the artificial reef, then work south and shallower until you find them.