Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: DVL Fishing Report 12/30/15

Default DVL Fishing Report 12/30/15

After a few misses on Perris, I decided to give diamond valley a try. Went with my uncle, a 45 year fisherman. We rented the basic bass boat. Got out there about 8am, water was almost like glass, no wind, about 45deg, and clear blue sky. Started working some dropoff's to the left of the marina and worked up to the northern dam for about 3 hours. Didn't get any strikes or nibbles. Decided to start working the way around the first island and cut across to the western dam, and still nothing. Skirted the big dam work along its edge down to the cliffs and 2 islands. We through out everything we had. Juicy nightcrawlers, swimbaits both shad and trout, Rapala s, assorted cranks, spinners, spoons, robos on a dropshot. My uncle even tried a hot cheeto, ball of Colby jack cheese, and a piece of ham. No trout, panfish or bass. Not a single strike. Water literally was still as the water in a toilet. Visibility was at least 15ft down or more. Not one sign of life, no bait fish, no bugs, no craws, not even a weed. It was almost all sand rock and broken shell. Headed for the marina at 4pm, and all of a sudden wind picks up and gives the water some color and then stripes start hitting the top with birds circling around them. But since the stupid lake wants you back by 4:30 we couldn't capitalize. I desperately tried to no avail to catch em on top as we chugged along. Total skunk with a middle finger to top it off. Didn't bring my craws today, and I regret it immensely. Got to the dock and talked to a couple who had 3lb and a 9lb largemouth off an ika and craw. I was so pissed, but happy for them, they had the pics to back it up. That's it. That's all the excitement there was.

Think it's time to either head back to perris, or hang up the rod till march.

Well you put in the work that's for sure. I fished it yesterday afternoon. Looked pretty dead yesterday like you said today did. A few solo boils in the middle of nowhere by the stripes. I haven't been skunked there in along time but yesterday I was. Barely any wind and no birds working at all.

Talked to the DFG fish counter and one full boat of people had 5-6 if I remember right for a whole day of fishing. Big fish was 3 lbs.

This up and down weather and crazy barometer has things all jacked up. I "WAS" on an OK bite if you see my reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
    Well you put in the work that's for sure. I fished it yesterday afternoon. Looked pretty dead yesterday like you said today did. A few solo boils in the middle of nowhere by the stripes. I haven't been skunked there in along time but yesterday I was. Barely any wind and no birds working at all.

Talked to the DFG fish counter and one full boat of people had 5-6 if I remember right for a whole day of fishing. Big fish was 3 lbs.

This up and down weather and crazy barometer has things all jacked up. I "WAS" on an OK bite if you see my reports.
    Lol stink, your 12/23 post was the post that got me to book the boat! I was like well perris sucks, and this guy is hitting em at DVL, lemme try! Hahahaha. Surprised you haven't had any luck after that report. But then again, you saw it yesterday, brutal. I always check out your posts so keep em comin! Tight lines brotha!

Over the years as others have noted, DVL can cut you off a big old slice of humble pie. I like it though....a challenge.
    Just remember the other days where you got all dialed in and wacked them unexpectedly after putting a plan together.
    If you got nothing else for a day out there, if the wind is enough, you can find some current or dirty water, you always got a shot at DVL.