Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota ipilot

Default Minn Kota ipilot

Thinking about buying a new bow mounted trolling motor... Minn Kota ipilot...$1500 is a lot of money though..thoughts??

While I don't have one on my boat I have been on several trips with people that do have one or the Motor Guide equivalent. My opinion is save your money. While it will hold you on a spot during the wind or current the constant operation of the motor changing angles/direction to keep you on spot will drive you crazy and the boat orientation will also change. If you have a track on your fish finder and want to replicate it the auto pilot will do that. However if you want to stop or if you get a hook up you will have to take your hand off the rod to operate the hand held controller. Not the best time to take your hand off the rod if it is a fish of a lifetime or the biggie to win a tournament. Might be a help when fishing the big waters in the south and midwest but I see no use in our local waters.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    While I don't have one on my boat I have been on several trips with people that do have one or the Motor Guide equivalent. My opinion is save your money. While it will hold you on a spot during the wind or current the constant operation of the motor changing angles/direction to keep you on spot will drive you crazy and the boat orientation will also change. If you have a track on your fish finder and want to replicate it the auto pilot will do that. However if you want to stop or if you get a hook up you will have to take your hand off the rod to operate the hand held controller. Not the best time to take your hand off the rod if it is a fish of a lifetime or the biggie to win a tournament. Might be a help when fishing the big waters in the south and midwest but I see no use in our local waters.
    Opinion noted. How you holding up? Still "earthquake edgy"?

MM

I would go out with someone that has one before you decide to make a purchase, your mileage may differ from my opinion. Been through bigger quakes so we were not worried, the dog on the other hand was not happy at all. The dog seemed to sense it before we did and the same with the after shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    I would go out with someone that has one before you decide to make a purchase, your mileage may differ from my opinion. Been through bigger quakes so we were not worried, the dog on the other hand was not happy at all. The dog seemed to sense it before we did and the same with the after shocks.
    Copy that. I'm a native Californian been through the 71 quake and 94 quakes. I remember 71 as a rolling wave feel and 94 as a violent shake feel....

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
    Thinking about buying a new bow mounted trolling motor... Minn Kota ipilot...$1500 is a lot of money though..thoughts??
    Depends on what kind of boat you have and what style of fishing you do. I have a Terrova Ipilot on a 16' aluminum deep-v, and find it absolutely indispensable. Really helps to negate the main disadvantage of aluminum boats -- their tendency to get blown around by the wind. If I had a big low-freeboard fiberglass boat maybe cable-steer might be a better choice.

Yes, spot-lock does wander a bit, but I've found that it's best anyway to use auto-pilot to set a heading along a shoreline, then hit spot lock when you get on a fish. You can use both the foot pedal and the remote, so if you've got your hands full you can still use the foot pedal. But you can use the remote from the back of the boat also.

If spot-lock is the main purpose you're thinking of getting an ipilot, then also consider the MG Xi5 version. I've read that their version of spot lock does a much better job of holding onto a tight spot than the MK. My ipilot will drift off by up to a boat length in certain conditions. Also note that ipilot link is limited to Humminbirds, and MG will interface with Lorance only.
    Last edited by shinbob; 12-30-2015 at 02:46 PM.

I fished on leadheads boat with that set up it worked pretty
    darn good/// kept us in the zone.....

cm

what kind of fishing and where?

i thought one of the functions of tracking a certain depth at a certain speed is nice... ie, set it at 15ft deept at 1 mph etc...

I've had mine for about 3 years now and I absolutely love it. Once you get used to using it the time it would take you to spot lock is less than 2 seconds. Actually the only time my foot pedal has been out of the stow locker has been one day when the remote battery ran out. Whether it's MG or MK it's a really nice thing to have. When I'm dropping my downrigger I just point the boat where I want it to go and hit auto-pilot. I can then put full attention to rigging my line to the clip without worrying if I'm going to veer badly off course, wind, current and all. If mine ever does die I'll get another one. Might even get the auto-deploy and retrieve feature :-)

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    Depends on what kind of boat you have and what style of fishing you do. I have a Terrova Ipilot on a 16' aluminum deep-v, and find it absolutely indispensable. Really helps to negate the main disadvantage of aluminum boats -- their tendency to get blown around by the wind. If I had a big low-freeboard fiberglass boat maybe cable-steer might be a better choice.

Yes, spot-lock does wander a bit, but I've found that it's best anyway to use auto-pilot to set a heading along a shoreline, then hit spot lock when you get on a fish. You can use both the foot pedal and the remote, so if you've got your hands full you can still use the foot pedal. But you can use the remote from the back of the boat also.

If spot-lock is the main purpose you're thinking of getting an ipilot, then also consider the MG Xi5 version. I've read that their version of spot lock does a much better job of holding onto a tight spot than the MK. My ipilot will drift off by up to a boat length in certain conditions. Also note that ipilot link is limited to Humminbirds, and MG will interface with Lorance only.
    I have the same type of boat...a G3 16'7 angler boat but I do all types of fishing except for down rigging (yet). Interesting about MG because I have a Lowrance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast