Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Salt minnow legal halibut and calico frenzy. 12/28

Default Salt minnow legal halibut and calico frenzy. 12/28

Arrived late after hitting the snooze button. Hit the sand at about 7:30. Conditions stirred up a bit with shorter swell intervals and a cross shore wind. Was hoping for some checks but i got hit halfway in. Thought it was about at 18" calico after 1 nice little run. I was shocked to see a legal halibut attached the salt minnow.

It spit up a smelt as i had it on the sand. Throw a few more casts and switch to a brand new clear coat upgraded LC in anchovy venus. Threw it about 3 casts on the side of a rock and i get fish on. I run the drag a little lighter with the LC and it fought decent.

Worked the area and hit AO 2 around 9am.
    Second cast my super slick braid broke 30 yards down. I'm thinking this stuff sucks... I Tie a new leader. I see the braid frayed more.I pull on it and quick snap. I realized the inside of my guide coat had been nicked. busted it off and kept fishing. Time to spool up the top 50 yards with 12lb mono. I missed one bite on the salt minnow and fished the lc for a bit more and called it a morning around 11am.

I got canceled from work. Had to take advantage of the calicos that were stacked up in the same spot as last night to see if they were around again. I arrived at 4 and didn't start catching till 4:45 ish. Weird how they just showed up all of a sudden. Start out with some dinks then i got into some better grade.

I fished till 6 and ended with 12 calicos. Mostly legals! few 14-16's 2 17"s and a 19"!

got another 17" and went to snap a picture and found out my phone was dead. It was a great evening sesh. Short and sweet. Thanks again reading guys. Two days of AWESOME for me!

Thumbs up

You're rearing them up out there Sean!
    I didn't catch a single legal Halibut this year...
    Keep up the great job kid.

Great job Sean. I think you've been the most consistent from the surf this year and definitely dialed in. I enjoy all your reports and keep up the good work.

-Peter

Oh you got it bad Sean...
    You pulled in some beautiful fish over the last couple days...KEEP IT UP!!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Robert
    <><

Now that is a nice haul there bud.
    Dont you just love it when you pull in a hali and it spits out a baitfish?
    It might be weird but it fascinates the crap out of me. Check out how bigger it is compared to the LC too...haha.
    Way to have the fish on lock, keep it up.

Arthur: Thank you Sir! It seems like you hadn't fished the surf this much this year. I'm sure you will get em good in 2016. Hope you get some more time on the sand soon. It was crazy all of the calicos came off a 100' stretch of beach... They were M.I.A in other places nearby.

Peter: Thanks appreciate that! Its been an awesome year for me. Even though i lost some giants. Can't wait to see what the new year holds in the surf fishing community.

Robert: Thanks. Right place at the right time. I always try and figure out why and then from the fishes perspective. I love it when a fish finding theory comes together and you locate them.

Frank: Yeppp! love it, ive seen perch, mac, and smelt come up. I think its super awesome when it happens and it adds to the catch for me. Anchovy will be next i imagine. Hahaha