Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never fished the river in my life, fished many of the so cal lakes.

Default Never fished the river in my life, fished many of the so cal lakes.

Looking for an assistant / guide / fishing partner to teach me the ropes, I know how to fish for virtually every species of fish, but not where to go on the river as I have yet to get the courage to get out there. I have heard stories about back channels and such, as well as the main river. I have a new tracker pro195TXW with a 150 hp 4 stroke motor trolling motor with 2 12 volt batteries for double the running time. 32 gallon live well, and 30 gallon fuel tank, as it is a bass boat it only has room 2 people. None of my friends have fished the river either, so I am now looking at FNN for anyone interested in joining me. I am pretty open on the dates after this coming Tuesday, I am on call 24/7 till Tuesday morning. I fish Silverwood lake nearly every weekend, also pyramid skinner and cardiac. Planning a trip to the serrias in May. I am looking for more adventure and places to fish when the wind forecast blows me out of the so cal lakes!
    Unfortunately my wife hates fishing, so that option is out.
    Please, if anyone wants and knows how to fish the river, I would really like to learn!
    I will pay for all the gas and live bait in exchange for the teaching.

Probably better to just find a decent guide out there for your first time, it's the best way to learn as those guys are on the river 24/7. For an adventure the closest legitimate trout fishing is the upper Kern. For a trip however the Eastern Sierras are your best bet, especially the Upper Owens/ Mammoth area because there a lot of places to fish. If you want to go for real you MUST go to southwestern Montana and fish the Madison along with the other rivers up there. I know guys who have fished everywhere and still swear that it's the best in the world. The Madison has around 5000 fish per mile. I remember when I was little I would just sit in the back of the boat with my spinning rod pulling in fish after fish, outfishing my dad and his friends who were flyfishing lol. When that place is on its almost "catching."

its pretty much the same as the lakes... look for structure... the stripers are about the same as well. however, sardines dont work as well if there is strong current. look at google maps and look around your launch site for jettys and back areas...

where are u planning to launch from?

That is one of my biggest concerns, seeing as I have NEVER fished the river, I have absolutely no idea, I do not even know if my CALIFORNIA license will be accepted. Any ideas? About guide services, how do I go about finding one? I have heard about using live bait like gold fish for the bass / strippers. Obviously I would prefer fishing with another angler who has personal knowledge of the area and laws / baits to use.

Fishing the "river" much depends on which stretch you are talking about. Mead/Mohave stretch you will need an Arizona or Nevada license other areas below Mohave depending on where Az. or Cali. license is fine. If from a boat things change too as far as license requirements (special stamp needed on license in Nevada/Az or boundary waters license). You really need to narrow your destination down before questions can be answered or advice given.

Sierra's is also a huge question. Crowley? June loop? Mammoth? Bishop creek?

Not trying to complicate your question it's just that you have mentioned 2 "areas" that have a tremendous amount of diverse water options and encompass very large areas.

As for the Sierra trip I am going with a group from work, fishing tube and waiting in the strand.
    For the river, I am open to where ever as this is all new to me, I want to stay out of the fast current and relax fishing. I am hoping that someone will want to enjoy a free trip(only costing their knowledge). I unmanaged that it is so vast that I would easily get lost and catch nothing. I heard about some back water tributaries that hold fish and require little work on the trolling motor. More time to concentrate on fishing.
    Do you know of anyone that may be interested or even a guide service?

Funny you should ask about Havascrew (college nickname). There was just a fishing show on Havasu in the winter. A pro took out a show host. They started in the bay's around London Bridge, outside, on deeper structure for the larger smallies and largemouth. As it the sun got up, they moved shallower (still deep though) to sheltered areas. They would chase an outside topwater bite as they would see boils.

Stick to the big bays, not to the pinched down fast water.

My first choice for a first time trip to the river would be Martinez lake out of Yuma, Az.

http://www.fisherslandingresort.com/Pages/default.aspx
    And a great guide out of the area is Bob La Londe and you can reach him here: http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/index.php

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapimage.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	47369

Agree with devoreflyer. Contact Bob LA fonde. He will take you out and teach you the ropes. If you can, postpone your trip for about a month to month and a half. The river will be slow right now and in February bass will start moving for the spawn. Martinez, ferguson., fishers landing, imperial dam and senators are really a nice place to fish along with all the backwater in the vicinity. Google earth the region to visualize the backwaters for knowledge. Good luck.

The Martinez, Senator Wash, Squaw Lake areas are good, but do wait at least six or eight weeks. I fished this area hard in November. Almost nothing was on the chew, and that was for me an everyone I talked too. Stage out of Yuma, and all his water is within about 25 miles. Also, try Lake Mittrey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast