Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LA River

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Albert B View Post
    I was thinking about that what hook type should I use and how long should my leader be?
    I used a 12-14" leader. Hooks 8-10 I think, it's been a while.

This is a solid set of directions: http://www.carpkrazy.com/carp-rigs.html

Thanks I'll give it a try. Also what baits would you suggest other than corn or bread?

Albert B - Use this hook. Circle hooks are great because you do not need to set the hook. When you get a bite, just start reeling the fish in. They seldom swallow the hook, and they hook themselves as they swim away, and almost always in the corner of their mouths. This is the only bait hook that I use now.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    Albert B - Use this hook. Circle hooks are great because you do not need to set the hook. When you get a bite, just start reeling the fish in. They seldom swallow the hook, and they hook themselves as they swim away, and almost always in the corner of their mouths. This is the only bait hook that I use now.
    Thanks I'll order some. Also do you guys think I should use weight when fishing the hair rig?

Thanks for report! Interesting read since I grew up 1 block from the LA River between Randolph Av railroad bridge & Gage Av in Bell. They never put in the concrete until after I was grown & gone. Don't remember any fish in the river then.

Anyway thanks for the report and I am glad you got bit.

Well played, they're a very underrated sportfish. Key to catching them is accurate ground bait - creamed corn + breadcrumbs, mixed with water until you can throw it in a ball, but will break up when it hits the water. Have a google at waggler floats - great in stillwater. In terms of flavours try savoury in winter, sweet in summer. Curry powder is an idea in the colder months

use sliding sinker above a #2 hook with fresh flour tortilla....use polarized shades...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123