Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: LA River

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default LA River

Hey guys today I fished the LA river a little below the 2 freeway. Caught 2 decent carp which is a pretty good day. I've probably fished there like 20 times and I usually catch at least one fish. I was using corn on a size 14 treble hook on a sliding sinker rig.

Weird face lol:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0686.jpg 
Views:	1014 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	47362

Thanks for the post very interesting, I liked it.

Cool catch,he's a lot darker than many I've seen,you've a nice spot their.

Cya Tuna Vic

Here's a tip:

Don't use any weight. Carp are smarter than Chubs. I've felt them examine my bait before feeling the trebles and taking off.

Fly line your bait with a mosquito hook, and you should get better responses. The current doesn't run hard enough most of the time there to necessitate weights on your rig.

I was actually thinking about taking the weight off since I realized that I was getting the most bites closer to shore. In addition to that most of my bites came within 2 minutes of making the cast, sometimes on the drop, so I guess holding the bottom isn't a big deal. The only reason I was using weight was because where I fish there is a decent current. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try weightless next time.
    Last edited by Albert B; 12-21-2015 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert B View Post
    I was actually thinking about taking the weight off since I realized that I was getting the most bites closer to shore. In addition to that most of my bites came within 2 minutes of making the cast, sometimes on the drop, so I guess holding the bottom isn't a big deal. The only reason I was using weight was because where I fish there is a decent current. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try weightless next time.
    Also, come prepared with different types of baits. Considering their intelligence, carp will begin to key in on popular baits that get thrown in their face and will begin to refuse them.

I saw an increase in hook up once I started researching European dough baits, and stopped using the typical tortillas squares or corn.

There were mornings that I saw myself using my food processor to make dough baits. For some strange reason, these carp are attracted to sugar, so we would use dough, secret ingredients, then top it off with some liquid strawberry smell that used to bring those guys up from the deep.

Also, I wouldn't be using anything more than 6# test there, perhaps even lower. These guys are so line shy, it makes you wonder why they live in environments like the LA River since they behave like uncatchable Permit.

use sliding sinker above a #2 hook with fresh flour tortilla....use polarized shades...