Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is California a rip off

Default Is California a rip off

You make the call is California a rip off for fishermen compared to this southern state.

Is the screwing we are getting worth the screwing we are getting from California as sportsmen. I have to ask what the hell the state is doing or rather not doing with our tax, license and fee monies for fisherman. My former business partner moved to South Carolina several years ago and compared to California it is a sportsman’s paradise. It is amazing that a state with a significant smaller population, just under 5 million compared to California at just under 40 million has such vast fishing resources and inexpensive recreation costs to users.

Here are some examples. This year when my partner came out to fish a tournament with me his 10 day California nonresident fishing license cost him $47.01. Yet when I went back last year my 14 day So Carolina nonresident license cost me $11.00. My California resident annual license costs me $47.01, yet his So Carolina resident license only costs him $10.00. And while my license is only good from Jan 1 to Dec 31 of the year I purchase it in, his license is good for one year from the date of purchase. While I get no discount in California for being a senior my partner in So Carolina can get a LIFETIME Senior Combination hunting and fishing license for a onetime fee of just $9.00.

In So Carolina if you are new to fishing or want to take out someone new to fishing the state has a free loaner program at 30 locations in the state. At an official Free Tackle Loaner Program site, you can borrow a rod, reel and tackle box... everything needed but the fish! FTLP sites also have helpful hints on topics such as tying knots, rigging a line, what bait to use, and other information you need to know to be prepared for your first fishing trip.

Oh and if I take my boat to a state park the entry fee is only $2.00 and if you’re a senior it is only $1.25. Most all public boat ramps are free and the most expensive ramp fee I paid was $5.00 at a private ramp and that was on the honor system with a drop box for payment.

Fisheries biologists with the DNR Freshwater Fisheries Section have been constructing structures in all the major reservoirs in South Carolina. These sites are clearly marked by buoys and are constructed of various materials. If your fishing a lake for the first time or an area that is new to you fishing structure maps are available free of charge from the DNR.

The northwest corner of the state at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains (Oconee County) has three lakes within less than an hour’s drive of each other and has over 1300 miles of combined shoreline. The lake my partner lives on (Lake Greenwood) is one of the smaller lakes at only 5 miles wide and 30 miles long. And depending on which lake you chose to fish the variety is endless (Trout, Walleye, Smallmouth, Largemouth, Spotted Bass, Striper, Hybrid Striper, White Bass, Crappie, Sunfish, Catfish and even Pike and Musky). And you can fly fish on several rivers and streams for Trout (Brook, Brown, Rainbow) in the same area.

Night time fishing is allowed everywhere and some of the best fishing is at night with a full moon as you know. And if you want a reel drag puller hook on to a Gar fish, the fresh water equivalent to a Barracuda and they get very big.

One has to ask what can California fisherman do to make things better or is it a lost cause.

Lost cause...

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    You make the call is California a rip off for fishermen compared to this southern state.

Is the screwing we are getting worth the screwing we are getting from California as sportsmen. I have to ask what the hell the state is doing or rather not doing with our tax, license and fee monies for fisherman. My former business partner moved to South Carolina several years ago and compared to California it is a sportsman’s paradise. It is amazing that a state with a significant smaller population, just under 5 million compared to California at just under 40 million has such vast fishing resources and inexpensive recreation costs to users.

Here are some examples. This year when my partner came out to fish a tournament with me his 10 day California nonresident fishing license cost him $47.01. Yet when I went back last year my 14 day So Carolina nonresident license cost me $11.00. My California resident annual license costs me $47.01, yet his So Carolina resident license only costs him $10.00. And while my license is only good from Jan 1 to Dec 31 of the year I purchase it in, his license is good for one year from the date of purchase. While I get no discount in California for being a senior my partner in So Carolina can get a LIFETIME Senior Combination hunting and fishing license for a onetime fee of just $9.00.

In So Carolina if you are new to fishing or want to take out someone new to fishing the state has a free loaner program at 30 locations in the state. At an official Free Tackle Loaner Program site, you can borrow a rod, reel and tackle box... everything needed but the fish! FTLP sites also have helpful hints on topics such as tying knots, rigging a line, what bait to use, and other information you need to know to be prepared for your first fishing trip.

Oh and if I take my boat to a state park the entry fee is only $2.00 and if you’re a senior it is only $1.25. Most all public boat ramps are free and the most expensive ramp fee I paid was $5.00 at a private ramp and that was on the honor system with a drop box for payment.

Fisheries biologists with the DNR Freshwater Fisheries Section have been constructing structures in all the major reservoirs in South Carolina. These sites are clearly marked by buoys and are constructed of various materials. If your fishing a lake for the first time or an area that is new to you fishing structure maps are available free of charge from the DNR.

The northwest corner of the state at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains (Oconee County) has three lakes within less than an hour’s drive of each other and has over 1300 miles of combined shoreline. The lake my partner lives on (Lake Greenwood) is one of the smaller lakes at only 5 miles wide and 30 miles long. And depending on which lake you chose to fish the variety is endless (Trout, Walleye, Smallmouth, Largemouth, Spotted Bass, Striper, Hybrid Striper, White Bass, Crappie, Sunfish, Catfish and even Pike and Musky). And you can fly fish on several rivers and streams for Trout (Brook, Brown, Rainbow) in the same area.

Night time fishing is allowed everywhere and some of the best fishing is at night with a full moon as you know. And if you want a reel drag puller hook on to a Gar fish, the fresh water equivalent to a Barracuda and they get very big.

One has to ask what can California fisherman do to make things better or is it a lost cause.
    I would agree things for the sportsman in California could be a WHOLE lot better. The problem is, "THERE IS NO ONE SINGLE GROUP TAKENING ON THE CHALLENGE to make things better for the sportsman here in California. The most obvious group to make things nicer for the people is the DFG. But I believe they have been infiltrated by people who want hunting and fishing to basically go away. You can tell that by how little money is spent on angler enhancement programs. Instead they have angler take away programs such as the MLPA. For a lousy 2.5 million dollars out of a budget of over 400 million dollars, they could double the trout stocking program and bring back the urban catfish stocking program. Instead they spend 20 million dollars a year keeping anglers out of the MLPA areas. Why they don't try to help anglers is pretty obvious, "they want all anglers to just go away!!!!!"

It also doesn't help that the biggest hunting and fishing newspaper in the state, "Westerner Outdoor News" editor is A RIGHT WING RUSS LIMBAUGH KINDA GUY!!!! Who in the world is going to take somebody like that serious here in Comafornia!!!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 12-18-2015 at 07:19 PM.

Nobody stands up for sportsman's rights more than Jim Matthews. And if you search his site you will find numerous stories like this one. http://www.outdoornewsservice.com/#!...f26ffe7c212553

And this one. http://www.outdoornewsservice.com/#!...Project-Coyote

And one more. http://www.outdoornewsservice.com/#!...shing-gear-ban
    Last edited by DEVOREFLYER; 12-18-2015 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    Nobody stands up for sportsman's rights more than Jim Matthews. And if you search his site you will find numerous stories like this one. http://www.outdoornewsservice.com/#!...f26ffe7c212553

And this one. http://www.outdoornewsservice.com/#!...Project-Coyote

And one more. http://www.outdoornewsservice.com/#!...shing-gear-ban
    The problem is, "they have to speak the language of the state." Like it or not, California is a very Liberal state. When these people go off on right wing tangents, they lose all credibility!!! In other words it's the little boy who cry's "WOLF" all the time. Even when they are spot on, they are dismissed by the powers and the people because of their right wing leanings and the language they use!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 12-18-2015 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I would agree things for the sportsman in California could be a WHOLE lot better. The problem is, "THERE IS NO ONE SINGLE GROUP TAKENING ON THE CHALLENGE to make things better for the sportsman here in California. The most obvious group to make things nicer for the people is the DFG. But I believe they have been infiltrated by people who want hunting and fishing to basically go away. You can tell that by how little money is spent on angler enhancement programs. Instead they have angler take away programs such as the MLPA. For a lousy 2.5 million dollars out of a budget of over 400 million dollars, they could double the trout stocking program and bring back the urban catfish stocking program. Instead they spend 20 million dollars a year keeping anglers out of the MLPA areas. Why they don't try to help anglers is pretty obvious, "they want all anglers to just go away!!!!!"

It also doesn't help that the biggest hunting and fishing newspaper in the state, "Westerner Outdoors News" editor is A RIGHT WING RUSS LIMBAUGH KINDA GUY!!!! Who in the world is going to take somebody like that serious here in Comafornia!!!!!!!
    What the heck? Who hacked Etuckers account?

Well, judging by the responses here so far I stand by what I said, it's a lost cause...

Devore you crack me up. I feel like you have told us the South Carolina vs Ca break down more than once. I do agree with you, Ca sportsman prices are insane. I've been traveling a lot and have picked up 3 different one year state licenses that haven't even totaled one year in Ca.

Quote Originally Posted by Big-Bob View Post
    Devore you crack me up. I feel like you have told us the South Carolina vs Ca break down more than once. I do agree with you, Ca sportsman prices are insane. I've been traveling a lot and have picked up 3 different one year state licenses that haven't even totaled one year in Ca.
    Honestly, in this state it can't be said enough...
    Last edited by HawgZWylde; 12-18-2015 at 07:32 PM.

Retired now and would love to bail out of Ca. But my wife has to be near the grandkids so that's not going to work for me. I like Arizona.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast