Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 11/29 One great day :)

Default 11/29 One great day :)

Date: 11/29
    Time:7:20
    Area: Somewhere in Malibu
    Reason for going: Conditions looked awesome! According to magic seaweed!

So I started throwing the lucky craft in my favorite spot after not hitting it up in a few weeks. The waves were 1-2 ft, and the wind was a 5mph SW/W wind! It really helped having the wind mostly on my back so I was able to cast pretty damn far! The water was clear, warm, and even had some bait fish! By the 3rd cast, I hooked on to this little beauty :)

I figure where there's one short halibut....there HAS to be more and maybe even a legal one! ;)
    As soon as I made another cast into some rocks/weeds that were far out, as I was reeling in my slack...I realized I had something! Whatever it was, bit as soon as my lucky hit the water! After a good little minute or two fight(cranked my drag to the right so there was little give) I landed this beauty!

Wooo 16ish inch legal Calico Bass!! A PR Calico record for me!

And this is what happens when you don't wear gloves when handling them

When I was trying to remove the hook, she wriggled a bit an sliced me with her fins xD, ahh well twas worth the blood spilled lol.

After catching the legal Calico, I snagged this other little guy :)

So in a span of 45 minutes, 3 fish and plenty of bites! I figure....damn it's gonna be pretty hot today! Plenty of bites, bait, and clear water!
    I probably jinxed myself since the next 2 hours....NOTHING hit!
    I had one last spot I wanted to hit up before I called it a day.

Unfortunately the spot that usually produced was already occupied so I was forced to fish a little to the right of my favorite spot. 1st cast, nothing but the 2nd cast that was far out....WAM I got hit! It felt heavy, but didn't put up much of a fight. I thought it was a fat Calico but to my surprise, it was a big Halibut! As soon as I saw it come over the wave I knew it was a legal :)
    And as soon as I landed her I yelled "HELL YEA!!!!!!! WOOOOO" like I scored a goal in soccer

So final fish count: 1x short hali, 1x short Calico, 1x 16ish PR Calico, and 1x 22inch(right on the money ;) Halibut(my 2nd legal ever! Wooo)

It was one great day :) Not much else to say about that

Tight lines and see you guys on the surf :)

It was good meeting you

Hi ya Ghost117

"Congratulations" ... not only on having a great session but for your PB Halibut! WTG!!

Thanx for the fish report with pic's!

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 12-01-2015 at 04:18 PM. Reason: sp

Nice fish you got there! Glad out had a great day tuggin!

To my eyes, it really looks like your PB 16 inch Calico will actually go 18 inches! Also if you close the tail on fish when you measure them, they will measure longer. I know that because I was a fish taxidermist and I charged by the inch for fish mounts. Also the game wardens measure fish this way too.

Thumbs up

Very nice session indeed!
    Merry Christmas to you and yours...

@fishmounter Oh no way? haha well I'll keep that in mind for the next time I catch a beauty!
    Thanks for the tip!!

@vdisney what!? Which person were ya? Don't tell me you were one of the guys at my favorite rocks? haha small small world
    Last edited by Ghost117; 12-14-2015 at 12:37 AM.