Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: First time chasing trout

Default First time chasing trout

Hope this topic is not to far out of place.

I went to the local lake this morning to catch some trout. The trout had been planted yesterday. This was my first visit to fish after stocking.

Woke at 05:30 to light winds and storm passing through.
    Cloudy no rain
    Cool temp.
    I never seen so many people at the lake at 0700. Waited in line for 1/2 hr. and then off to find my spot. I got to my spot and thought, I'm not fishing elbow to elbow. I went to the next spot down, thank goodness only one other guy there.

I took my Sedona 2500 on a Diawa 6'6" m/L 8# test, carolina rig to 36" 4# floro leader with a #16 treble.

Bait: PowerBait Natural Scent Yel/Grn with metal flake.

I also had a Diawa 2500 on my Clarus 8'6" M/L 4# test to a PowerBait "Atomic Tubes".

Started with the Diana/Clarus setup with no love for 1.5 hrs. The wind started increasing so I switched to the Sedona/Diawa 6'6" with a night crawler that I cut. After watching my spot load up with anglers while soaking my worm wham! Reeled in my PB Blue Gill. This guy was 9.5 inches. He was much bigger than what I'm used to catching.

Called it quits at 1200 pm and went home.

Can someone recommend a 6'6" pole and thoughts on 4# test.

By the way, I didn't catch any trout.

Tim
    Last edited by yakfish51; 11-28-2015 at 04:16 PM. Reason: More information

For trout any ultra light pole will do fine with fishing with powerbait. A 4 pound leader is okay, but a 2 pound leader I find works better.

Thanks for the info. I had 3 lb loaded up today. I'lll give that a try first.

Tim

Try a blown up, pinched-in-half nightcrawler. NOT that stuff in a jar, but real worms. 3-lb. is OK if you can find fresh stuff. Definitely try 2-lb., keep your drag set on the loose side until you get used to how it feels. Ande is my favorite, but steer clear of 2-lb. Stren, breaks too easy.
    As far as a stick, Spinmatic is a fantastic line of rods. Durable enough, very economical (I think I paid $40 for the last one I bought) and very user-friendly. You can certainly pay a lot more but there truly is no need to. Ugly Stick is also a very good choice but play with each one as there are many different actions.
    Good luck!

what lake was this?

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    Try a blown up, pinched-in-half nightcrawler. NOT that stuff in a jar, but real worms. 3-lb. is OK if you can find fresh stuff. Definitely try 2-lb., keep your drag set on the loose side until you get used to how it feels. Ande is my favorite, but steer clear of 2-lb. Stren, breaks too easy.
    As far as a stick, Spinmatic is a fantastic line of rods. Durable enough, very economical (I think I paid $40 for the last one I bought) and very user-friendly. You can certainly pay a lot more but there truly is no need to. Ugly Stick is also a very good choice but play with each one as there are many different actions.
    Good luck!

Thanks for the response Marley. How do you blow them up? I'm not familiar with this.

Thanks Tim

Quote Originally Posted by yakfish51 View Post
    Thanks for the response Marley. How do you blow them up? I'm not familiar with this.

Thanks Tim
    On this site click on forum, then goto tips and tricks and click on thread magic worm blower.

Thanks for the tip.

That bluegill is bigger than some of the trout they stocked in that lake. You did better than you thought

Quote Originally Posted by castle View Post
    That bluegill is bigger than some of the trout they stocked in that lake. You did better than you thought
    I was very happy with this fish. Most of the time they are about 4" or less. First time for the Carolina rig at this A.O.

Tim