Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Black Friday in the Ocean store

Default Black Friday in the Ocean store

Not many reports lately but those that have been posted were great and much appreciated.
    As I was giving a ride to my folks to LAX, I also grabbed my light rod: a quick stop someplace along PCH on the way back was necessary . It was a nice afternoon in the BU, very manageable swell (got rolled ones but the water was not cold and wind was light). Found beat-up LC in the back of the car and went to work the coastline of sand and rocks on a dropping tide. Clarity varied form perfect to murky with grass floating at times.

The highlight was a big hali chasing it and grabbing it w/o getting hooked but finally hung on to LC right near my legs. Worked it surprisingly easily to the shallow water but the wave that was suppose to help me with landing somehow did the opposite. It was a nice 25-30" model and the only one that committed.
    Also caught 3 calicos at 10, 13 and 16" The biggest swallowed it bad requiring some pliers work but swam away strong back to its rock.

This was only my 4th beach session (on foot instead of board) of the year and the one to be thankful for.

Okay, gotta ask..............was that you about 100 yards north of me on the other side of the rock pile?

Well, maybe- that's the area with 2 stairway access areas and I went for the first one but the second, 1/2 mile down the road is shorter and is on the other side of the 'pile'. But then again, everyone has a 'pile' or a 'rock' and I did not see anyone else fishing but plenty if beachgoers with dogs. Hope you had had a good time too.

Hi ya efishent,

AND ... "only" your fourth sand session .... WOW!! WTG!!

It felt like I had put in 20 sessions before I starting beaching Hali's of any measurable size.
    Bottom line .... the next time you hook up with that fish ... it will have gained a few more pounds and a little more fight ... Well worth the wait!

Thanx for the fish report.

SP Dan <"))><