Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: can you eat lobster you catch on boat?

Default can you eat lobster you catch on boat?

If I go hooping for lobster on 7 pm on Day 1 to 7 am on day 2, and I caught 3 on from 7pm - 11:00 pm, can I eat three at 11:30 pm, then catch 7 more from 12:01am-7am?

According to CCR T14, Section 29.90(b), the daily recreational bag limit is seven lobsters per person. Additionally, Section 1.17 states that no more than one daily bag limit may be taken or possessed by any one person unless otherwise authorized (see Declaration for Multi-Day Fishing Trip, Section 27.15 T14, CCR), regardless of whether they are fresh, frozen or otherwise preserved. This means that if you have a limit of seven lobsters at home, you cannot go out and get more lobsters until the first limit is disposed of in some way (eaten, given away, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    According to CCR T14, Section 29.90(b), the daily recreational bag limit is seven lobsters per person. Additionally, Section 1.17 states that no more than one daily bag limit may be taken or possessed by any one person unless otherwise authorized (see Declaration for Multi-Day Fishing Trip, Section 27.15 T14, CCR), regardless of whether they are fresh, frozen or otherwise preserved. This means that if you have a limit of seven lobsters at home, you cannot go out and get more lobsters until the first limit is disposed of in some way (eaten, given away, etc).
    but if I don't have any lobsters at home, and I go on a friend's boat to catch lobster, can i eat my first three lobsters before midnight, and another 7 to take home after midnight?

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post

Yeah. like that's done all the time?!?

If you caught them before midnight, cooked and ate them before midnight, what evidence is there that there was ever any lobster on your boat after midnight?!?
    C'mon Bro, you kinda answered your own question.
    Robert
    <><
    Last edited by murrieta angler; 11-23-2015 at 07:35 AM.

Ah....that's the way you do it. The real sportsmen are coming out now. Reminds me of the Eastern European lads filling the ice chests and having the buddy drive them back to the motel for cleaning in the Eastern Sierra while the boys kept on fishing.

yes you can. you just need to keep the carapice if they want to measure it... honestly though... just enjoy yourself and have a good meal on the boat :D

that's assuming u didn't catch all 10 first night ... keep 3 in sight and stash the rest in the boat under the center console until 12:01 am!!! that can be a thin line ...like if dad takes his kid fishing ties his line for him or cast out but kid does the fishing.......dfg might be quick to issue some citations!!! if he doesn't have a license.... good ole days of letting a kid steer car on daddys lap in a parking lot can be child endangerment aswell !!!!

you can't have more than 7 on you or in the car etc at any given time unless you get a multiple day pass permit....
    its not worth the fine...

I've never been checked for my fishing license but in the 2 seasons i've hooped., i've been checked a dozen times...

Limit is 7 taken/possession. You have a dozen lobsters in your freezer at home and hooping tonight and get your limit. You think DFW going to go home with you to check if you have lobsters in your freezer????????

And yeah like other said, you pretty much answered your own question. You caught 7 today, consume 3 so have 4 in possession, after midnight, you can catch 3 more (total 7 in possession) you're done for the day.

Spend a few more hours out there and get a multiy day pass and you can have multiple limits in possession.You must be on the water at least 12 hrs the first day and 12hrs the second day.
    Your are not allowed to go ashore or dock during this time.
    Seems like they passed this reg to acomadate long trips like going to the cortez.The guys leaving for catalina with a 2 day permit catching a limit on the first 12 hr day and a second limit after midnight are legal but I think its abusing the reg.To leave from dock to dock on a 24 hour trip shouldn't constitute a 2 day trip where you keep 2 limits on what is basically an overnight trip.

This reg was made for guys making a long journey like Cortez,Tanner,San Nicholas.I don't think it was wrote for the guys making a short trip to the frontside of Cat