Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 11/21/15 Early Winter Bassin'

Default 11/21/15 Early Winter Bassin'

With almost a week of steady weather decided to rent a boat solo. Haven't been on the lake in over a month, but I had already been aware of the lake being in the midst of winter transition. Right away wanted to look for baitfish so I went straight to an area that had been holding all fall and sure enough big schools of silversides were huddled up tight to the shore on the highside of a scattered rockpile. Periodically bass would swoop in on them in the shallows or chase them out on the surface into deeper water for some early morning breakfast. Worked that area for a couple hours and had a steady pick using a lucky craft pointer 78, basstrix glass minnows, clone frys, and senkos.

Weather forecast said there would be 9-13mph wind all day, which is a big reason why I chose to go. But that never really happened it was more like 5-8mph sporadically from both east and west. Once the sun was high mid morning and it was dead calm with no current things kinda died down so off I went to fish some deeper rocky points found a couple on the c-rig in about 30-40ft of water. Kinda got bored with that and decided to just crank the rest of my time there since most of the grass has died off. Got some more to play down deep in the rocks 25+ft had to kneel and reel to get it down there. Also was visited by the almighty elusive flathead catfish he absolutely crushed the crank, thought it was a nice bass until I felt head shakes. Was pretty interesting trying to get him into the boat by myself, he wasn't too happy with a mouth full of trebles haha.

Other than some of the flurries first thing in the morning the bass were pretty lethargic. Every single reaction bait fish was hooked on the outside of the mouth or with just one treble in. Crankbait fish were caught by slooowly ticking the rocks. A lot of areas were void of life but the areas with either wind, current, and/or bait were certainly most productive.

Nice report and pics. I'm planning to fish this weds.

OG MUDBONE,

Thanks for a great report! The bass can really be tuff to catch when they are on the silversides. Looks like you did a real good job getting them to go!

Thanks for the excellent report. That kitty really wanted that thing, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by GdHkSet1 View Post
    Nice report and pics. I'm planning to fish this weds.
    Thanks, and good luck out there. Overcast days are my favorite at Dvl...

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPLS View Post
    OG MUDBONE,

Thanks for a great report! The bass can really be tuff to catch when they are on the silversides. Looks like you did a real good job getting them to go!
    Yeah man they were really keyed in. Had to work hard for every bite, they weren't wanting to move very far or fast. Ds glass minnow worked best in that area as I could work it very slowly and put it right in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Baja1ab View Post
    Thanks for the excellent report. That kitty really wanted that thing, eh?
    Thank you sir. She inhaled that thing hit it like a ton of bricks, was fun playing tug-o-war but I really wanted my crank back lol

Great Report!!!

I can't wait to launch my boat as soon as possible than I can get in on the fun. I just can't afford to pay for a rental when I have a perfectly rigged boat of my own.

DsrtTortise

Hey those are some nice fish chief! Love those flatheads...did he stink? Last one I caught on a double willow spinnerbait stunk pretty bad

Quote Originally Posted by Dsrt Tortise View Post
    Great Report!!!

I can't wait to launch my boat as soon as possible than I can get in on the fun. I just can't afford to pay for a rental when I have a perfectly rigged boat of my own.

DsrtTortise
    My wallet hears you! But it's not so bad with the discount on weds/thurs if you split with a buddy. However, I don't own a boat so I can only imagine it's like torture not being able to fish from your own ride. Hopefully by spring everyone can get back on the lake. It would only be fair seeing as how they shut down the launch ramp during some of the best fishing this season...

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    Hey those are some nice fish chief! Love those flatheads...did he stink? Last one I caught on a double willow spinnerbait stunk pretty bad
    Thank you sir. Actually, now that you mention it he did smell pretty strong. I kept him at the bottom of the boat the last couple hours because I didn't want him to curl up in the livewell and he smelled excessively fishy. Is there a reason you know of for why they smell? Funny how they can't stand reaction baits, especially spinners which tend to be fished up a little higher in the water column. A nuisance during tourneys I'm sure, but a lot of fun to pull on otherwise. And make for some good fish fry. I think catfish is somewhere around $12 a pound at the store, could be more.

I caught this channel cat 3 weeks ago at Vail lake and brought it over to my mom's and she said it was delicious. I brought the flathead over and she said it didn't taste nearly as good. Thought that was strange, I assumed that the flathead would taste better since its diet consists on mainly live fish?