Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Rpt.-11-19-15 The 150 Spot!

Default Rpt.-11-19-15 The 150 Spot!

Wished would of known about the Tuna off Dana Point, who knew? The never ending season, I swore the Fat Lady Sand a few weeks ago? So we went fishing Thursday 11-19-15 on Lal’s 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky” out to the 150 Spot. We launched out of Davies in Long Beach at 5:30 am. Air temp was a comfortable 51 degrees, with no wind. The water temps in the harbor started at 61.8 degrees and rapidly increased to 63.1 outside the harbor.

We stopped at Nachos for bait, and he gave us a generous ½ scoop of very healthy and slimy green large Sardines, with few perishing all day.

The ride out to the rigs was quite pleasant. We stopped at the gambler and Lal caught one baby sand bass and a couple of sculpin on a 4 inch Red Flake plastic. They were not interested in my 5 inch MC Red Flake with Orange Belly, usually a favorite of bigger Calico Bass and Rockfish.

So we continued out to the rigs. Water temps were rising to 64.5 degrees. Lal looked around at a number of areas with stones and hard bottom. We spotted some working birds; however, they quickly dispersed as we approached. We made a number of drifts over some rocks with good marks, although none looked like Tails. On Wednesday the Enterprise landed five Tails in this general area, so we were hopeful.

It was around 8am and the water temps were up to 65.1 degrees with slightly off color clean blue/grey water. Lal switched to a 7 inch Red Flake plastic and caught a 3.5 pound Sand Bass. Then he got slammed on his next drop and the fish took a little drag, maybe a smaller Yellowtail? The fish fought all the way up from 150 feet, yet did not do anything to indicate Yellowtail. As we saw color, it was obviously not a Yellow, with some Red, etc. How about a 9+ pound Sheephead:

All I caught was a small Johnny Bass. Lal tossed me a 7 inch Red Flake and on my first drop down, I get bit solid on the wind in. This fish took a little drag on my 20 pound outfit. Then just shook it’s head on the way up. Oh boy a nice Red:

It was now about 8:30 am and both the Victory and Enterprise arrive in the area. Curiously they were looking around in the same area we were fishing. Not very far from us, maybe 500 yards you could hear the Captains holler, ok drop the jigs and bait now, there is Yellowtail under us. We didn’t see any hook ups as they repeated the process again and again, both boats. We also metered clear signs of Yellowtail. Lal used a dropper loop with our frisky Sardines, as I Yo Yo’d a Colt Sniper.

We did run and gun for several hours in a finite area of about a square mile. Finally we heard the Captains of both boats say the Tails are not co-operating, so let’s go fish some Rockfish. So they moved way south and outside the rigs. We continued to drift over numerous stones with good marks and an occasional Yellowtail mark. Lal caught another Sand Bass on his dropper Loop, while I caught this 4 pound Sandy on the Colt Sniper, it was gut hooked, so we kept it:

At 11:30 am the Southern Cal showed up and amazingly worked the area around us. They also stopped on Yellowtail meter marks. They did end up with two Yellowtail, while the Victory and Enterprise struck out. We guess the Southern Cal called them in, as they continued their hunt for Tails. We did not see any hook ups, although you can’t see the whole boat all the time and they might of caught them after we left?

At 12:30 the water temps were up to 65.5 and Mother Wind decided it was time to blow, as the weather was extraordinary up to this point. We made a run to Izor’s Reef, and we made several drifts for nothing. It was capping good so we called it a day and were on the Trailer at 2pm.

We were surprised by so many meter marks on good structure and so few bites? It was one of those days. You give it a go and try your best, sometimes it’s not enough.

Thanks Lal, we missed on the targeted species of catching Yellowtail, although we have a few filets for dinner! The DFG survey team was at the dock and pleased that we kept some fish, knowing we usually release everything. They weighed the 9+ Lb. Sheephead, the 3.5 pound Red and 4+ pound Sand Bass.

Hook up! Cory

When I saw the title I was hoping for a YT report. Congrats on the Goat.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    When I saw the title I was hoping for a YT report. Congrats on the Goat.
    Me too! We tried and it was not to be!

Nice going guys,that was a quality local goat for sure,ditto on the red also,thanks for the report!

Cya Tuna Vic