Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Synthetic Grass?

We recently bought a place and after a lot of research and accounting, decided to go with xeriscaping - rock in front DG and bark in back.

found synth turf + installation cost prohibitive

Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    That’s unusual. Typically, dichondra is harder than grass to grow and maintain –requires lots of water and nitrogen. Are you sure that you’re not over fertilizing and watering?
    Over watering is prolly not the case, considering that we can only water on every other days in LA County, lest we get a fine for watering on off days. The fertilizer issue? We only dump fertilizer during the winter months, and that's usually controlled by the 'greens keeper.' He's convinced that our lawn is cursed, and only the sacrifice of a virile virgin will get our grass to grow.

I'm about to forego my fly fishing trips on Sundays in order to sit in church to make sure my grass grows.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Quagga View Post
    Gunga galunga.
    Thanks, d!ck.

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    decided to go with xeriscaping...
    Thanks Obama! Can't believe you went the hippie route. Hope you vote for Trump to level your decision making.

Regardless, a new crop has been placed in the ground. We've invited a few East LA shamans to come bless the ground, and I'm learning a new Mayan rain dance that should bring new life upon my fields.

Not just to level decision making but more l like an audit. This was on the news earlier this year. Several Home Owners Associations don't allow synthetic grass. In Los Angeles of all places. Don't smoke the spice. It'll drive you mad. Same with the real stuff. I encourage home owners in L.A. to mow their own grass. But then again. Someone will be out of the job. Fake grass saves water.

Fake grass not only saves water but the cost of it ADDS to the value of your property. Looking at it that way, why not get the best quality artificial?

At $11 to $12 per square foot of the good stuff, it may be expensive but remember to add the total to the value of your house when you sell it.
    ...and don't forget, you'll get the money back in several years of not paying the gardener, which is a cost you can't write off or add to the value of your property.

Still costly but we all need to pull our weight when saving water for our state. Mind-boggling that 40% of our usage is just to water grass.

I had my artificial lawn installed 2 weeks ago in Buena Park, HOA approved. If anyone is interested to see it in person, and for info, pm me for details. There is a neighbor who got a cheaper kind and you can compare both with your own hands.....If you get it installed with the company I went with, who by the way set the specs for L.A. county, there is a referral fee that I can split with you. ;)

Here are some before and afters. The last pic is a comparison of real cheap and real good. The cheap is on the right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front 2.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	47327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151125_083525.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	47328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side-front.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	47329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151125_083513.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	47330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151201_120211.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	47331  

Last edited by Ian; 12-09-2015 at 09:11 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12