Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Synthetic Grass?

Default Synthetic Grass?

Has anybody successfully installed synthetic grass as replacement for real grass?

Apparently, the grass that I installed requires weekly deluges in order to barely stay alive, and living in a dessert, it's become a bit of a financial burden installing new sod every year. We've already dug down nearly to China to replace mountains of dirt, because we thought that it was the dirt that was causing the issue. We've hired landscapers who have shrugged their shoulders when we ask why the grass dies year after year.

So, time to do the sensible thing and install fake grass. Anybody else here have had the opportunity to go this route? Was it a simple process? Expensive?

what kind of grass are they installing and where are you located? i think the type matters etc. Do your neighbors have grass? If so, talk to them.

Quote Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post
    what kind of grass are they installing and where are you located? i think the type matters etc. Do your neighbors have grass? If so, talk to them.
    We've run the gamut when it comes to the types of grass we have installed in the past 8 years.

The first was fescue, we tried Bermuda, St. Agustine, you name it. We've hired professional landscapers, we've gotten soil analysis. After seeding didn't help, we went out and dropped quite a bit of coin on sod, and that had the longest survival rate, since we got almost a year worth's of green lawn with the sod. Then it died again. Dichondra seems to grow well, but that's not really "grass."

What was strange is that when we bought the home, the original owners had some sort of non-grass as landscaping, and since it seemed to attract every wasp in East LA, (not type of WASP), and our boxer seemed to be proficient in eating said wasps and ending up in the emergency room for dogs since he was allergic to their stings, we quickly dug it up and began the fruitless venture of having a green lawn.

Our neighbors have lawns, if you can call them that, which is more of a mixture of 50% grass and 40% weeds, and 10% various auto parts, so we really haven't inquired on what type of grass is growing below the old '75 El Camino they have parked on their lawn.

Its called Spice and you get it at your local smoke shop!

A few in our neighborhood got the fake stuff.
    Cant tell at all but you'll need a second morgage to buy it.
    It looks real good, basically like new sod that just took proper root.
    No yellowed pee spots, water or mowing ever again.
    I guess you need to vacuum or blow out the debris build up.
    Last edited by Stinkbait; 11-20-2015 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
    Its called Spice and you get it at your local smoke shop!
    I had to Google what 'Spice' was. Now I feel old. Dont kids just smoke weed and listen to pink Floyd in their parent's basement any more?

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
    A few in our neighborhood got the fake stuff.
    Cant tell at all but you'll need a second morgage to buy it.
    It looks real good, basically like new sod that just took proper root.
    Hmm. I wonder if i can get some used stuff from the local Golf n Stuff.

I only new of the stuff cause of my nephews and nieces. Basically it is potpourri sprayed with chemicals that don't show up on drug tests. Synth weed its called. Banned now, I believe....I hope! ;)

Stick to the real stuff use synthetic urine to pass a drug test.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Stick to the real stuff...
    Yeah, but what's the secret?

Manganese? Nitrogen?

Use Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia seeds?

That’s unusual. Typically, dichondra is harder than grass to grow and maintain –requires lots of water and nitrogen. Are you sure that you’re not over fertilizing and watering?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Yeah, but what's the secret?

Manganese? Nitrogen?

Use Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia seeds?
    Gunga galunga.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast