Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropshot weight for trout?

Default Dropshot weight for trout?

Hi this is my first post here. I was wondering what is the most weight that can be used to dropshot for trout?

I use 1/8 when using 2lb test. Guess if your using 4lb you can get away with 1/4 weight.

Cool thanks.

And be sure and use a split shot for your weight, especially if you are fishing in a rocky area. Squeeze it onto your line lightly, so if it snags up, you can just slowly pull on your line, and the sinker will slide off, and you'll get your expensive hook back. Split shots are cheap. Way cheaper than drop shot sinkers or other specialized weights. After your split shot slides off the tag end of your line in a snag, just crimp on another. When I float tube and slowly troll
    at any of our SoCal lakes, this is the ONLY sinker I'll use while drop shooting with 2 or 4 lb test line.

Ok fishmounter thanks.

you can use as much weight as necessary but you must be quick on the hook set.,, as soon as the fish feels the weight, he'll most likely spit it...swing away buddy

Ok thanks Piss on Myspace. Have you ever used up to a 1/4 oz on the drop shot?

Yes. The deeper it is, the more weight I'll use. For bass or trout fishing, I'll use 1/4 oz. weight almost as a standard size sinker in water from 10 t0 20 feet deep. Heavier if it's deeper than 20 feet.

when im trout fishing i try to use as light weight as possible on 2lb line. most of the time i use 1/8 oz, i'll use 1/16 oz if i see trout along the banks and im trying to stay in shallow areas. i only use 1/4 oz if im casting into some wind.

Thanks guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast