Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Striper and Bass Fishing: Hard Baits

Default Striper and Bass Fishing: Hard Baits

Hey folks,
    I was wondering what kind of hard bait should i pick up for striper or bass fishing. I know the fish feed on shad, but there are so many different shad looking hard baits that I'm lost on picking one up. I'm new to all this, so any help and or advice would be amazing.
    Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Hey folks,
    I was wondering what kind of hard bait should i pick up for striper or bass fishing. I know the fish feed on shad, but there are so many different shad looking hard baits that I'm lost on picking one up. I'm new to all this, so any help and or advice would be amazing.
    Thank You!
    Depends what your budget it, what part of the water column you wanna be targeting, and whether you fish from shore or off a boat.

If I was stuck on a stranded island (with stripers on it), and I had one hard bait to use, it'd probably be a small lipless in a threadfin pattern.

Price doesn't really matter. I have one rattle trap and just lost a swim bait that looked like a trout to the rocks I bought from Gallions -_-. I got no love on the trout swim bait. I really don't know how stripers work and when to fish which water column lol
    I will definitely pick one of those lip less crank-baits up!

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    I really don't know how stripers work and when to fish which water column lol
    And I think you answered your own question with this.

You need to do research on what your quarry is and how they behave in order to find out what to throw at them. This entails knowing what they're doing during each season of the year, and what forage they are focusing on. Once that happens, you can make some pretty educated guesses on what hard baits will work and at what time.

True I need to dedicate more time at the lake and try different lures out to see what works and what doesn't. I'm excited to learn and figure out the patterns! I only caught 5 stripers on the lugworm last week, and nothing on the lure. I want to turn that around

Get some of these for striper fishing.

White Fluke with 1/4 oz. Scroungerhead.

http://static.squarespace.com/static...9Scrounger.jpg

Throwing big swim baits is not for the impatient, many many hundreds of casts for the big one is the price you must pay. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0452.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	47307

Maybe this will help

my top 5 hard baits for striper in no particular order:

White rattle trap(can be fished at any depth)

Zera spook (for when they are busting)

trout pattern Sebile magic swimmer (for the bigger ones)

Rapala X-rap suspending in white(clown or blue for low vis) (fished like a jerkbait when the bite is tough)

Rapala Shad rap in any shad pattern (Great in the fall around ledges/drop-offs)

All that being said my go to stiper lure is a paddle tail swimming superfluke jr. in pearl. I catch more striper on soft plastic and spoons than anything.

As you can see there are almost as many effective lures as there are fishermen. When stripers are in the mood to eat you have to just give them something fishy looking. I was convinced the key to my success was my $18 Lucky Craft lures..... until I lost all of them and tied on some cheapo Rapalas and a no-name topwater. Caught fish on all of them. So study the patterns first. Not just the target fish (stripers) but what is the bait doing? So my list
    Lightish colored pointers and jerkbaits 90 - 110 mm
    Gunfish topwater
    Flukes
    U-rig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast