Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S.W.A.T. Sunday Morning Checkers Annihilation and a PB for Bachiboy!

Thumbs up S.W.A.T. Sunday Morning Checkers Annihilation and a PB for Bachiboy!

The original plan for Sunday was to hunt Yellowtails on board the Kolo with Webmaster Jeff, but 30 mile per hour winds kept us off the water.
    I got home around 11:00pm Saturday night after dinner and decided to hit the surf in the morning. It was kinda late, but I sent out a couple of texts to see if Mike and Don would like to join me. Didn't want to wake too many people. LOL
    Mike didn't reply, must be way past Grandpa Bones bed time. Don (Bachiboy) answered "Where?", I suggested a location and he says he's in... I had to ask what time grey light was because it's been awhile since I hit the surf. LOL
    So, I met up with Don 5:00am sharp at the A.O. Geared up and made the mile or so hike in the dark to the battle zone.

We hit the first area and got a few Calico and Sand Bass up to 18 inches or so... Conditions were pretty decent with swells slapping at our knees, a moderate off shore wind was blowing, water color was a little discolored, but not too bad and the water temperature was probably around 65 degrees. The best thing is that there were virtually no salad in the surf... no weeds, a LC chucker's dream... gotta love it!

After a couple of hours, I mentioned to Don about another nearby spot that none of the S.W.A.T. guys have fished in awhile and wonder if it was any good. Don says, "Only one way to find out, let's go..." The timing was good, incoming high tide, so we made the trek over to the next spot and it turned out to be an excellent call.

As soon as we hit the sand we were ambushed by an all out Calico assault. For a solid 20-30 minutes... just about every cast resulted in a mean strike or hook up. We caught a few runts, but most of these were quality brute Checkers with full bright warpaint on. I totally lost count of how many we landed. We would horse in the smaller ones and did our best to navigate and strong arm the larger ones from the boilers and kelp. I lost the SWAT Electric Grunion LC that I had been throwing all morning when a Big Boy took me into the boilers and wrapped me up in the thick kelp. We were double hooking up, fighting fish simultaneously, laughing and having a great time... Somehow, Don's fish always seem to be bigger than mine...
    Don was blessed with his Personal Best surf Calico that taped out at 23 inches. Congrats Brother Don!

When the bite slowed we hopped on some nearby rock formation and caught a few more Calico and Don got a couple of Barracudas (all fish were released).
    We called it around mid-morning and headed home. Don had to fulfill his Fatherly duties and I took my Mom for Dim Sum. What a perfect Sunday...

Have a blessed Thanksgiving everybody.

Arthur (Wingnut)

"It is when you give of yourself, that you truly give..."

Lots of pics...

First Checker of the morning while it was still dark.

The S.W.A.T. Electric Grunion LC (designed by JKim from SCSF) was working like a charm.

Don's first Calico was a nice one... bigger than mine of course.

Flat swells and no weeds!

Double runts...

What a mess..

Let's see if you can notice what's wrong with this photo...

A closer shot...

The split ring broke off somehow... This Calico got a perfect lip piercing.

Don's PB Checker.

The Brute inhaled the LC... all three trebles were in his mouth. Great care and diligence by Don in the hook removal process to ensure the survival of the fish.

Nice fish Don!

In accordance with the S.W.A.T. Creed to always release your "Personal Best" fish...

It will live to fight another day...

Don on the rocks...

My Brother in Arms...

Extras...

Last weekend, eight of us flew up to San Francisco to see my buddy JoKoy perform his stand up comedy routine.
    If you don't know who he is or haven't seen him perform live... look him up and go see him the next time he comes to town.
    He sells out EVERY show!
    Trust me, you WILL BE A FAN! We've never laughed so hard... Joe is super talented and is one heck of a nice guy.

We sat in the front row and he tore up my friends all night...
    Thanks for going easy on me Joe.

He dropped by my office last week to say hello... Nice Tesla Joe, my Mom drives one. LOL

Parting shot...

What Romeo thinks about 24/7...

WOW!
    A report from a S.W.A.T. Member.........Must be a special day..
    Good to see some familiar faces with some quality fish.
    That 23"er looks huge, what 6-8 pounds?!?
    Been out a couple times by myself, but nothing biting down here.
    Romeo looks healthy, must be a healthy, loved pup!!
    I was up in Santa Cruz this past Friday and Saturday for work, water looked real nice, but I had no gear with me...
    Next time I'm up there, I will hit the surf for a quick session.
    Take Care Brotha and May God Bless You and Yours.

Robert
    <><

Great fishing with you again sir!!! That was a good call to try to hike over to the second spot. I figured our day was done at that point. Completely amazed at how well the fish bit and even more surprised to get "the beast". Looking forward to doing it again soon!

Thanks again for the late night call to arms!
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    I was up in Santa Cruz this past Friday and Saturday for work, water looked real nice, but I had no gear with me...
    Next time I'm up there, I will hit the surf for a quick session.
    Heck, you shoulda took your tuna gear and went bluefin hunting. They're getting the biguns up there!

Beautiful Calicos....Beautiful conditions...Beautiful REPORT!

Nice job out there Arthur and Don.....The calicos stuck around for you two even though the water temps have taken a major dive recently. Soon that will change for sure. That PB checker you caught Don sure looks healthy. By the way it inhaled that bait I bet she hit on the deadstick! Congrats on the beast! Maybe I will get off my butt and give it a shot here soon because the winter is knocking on our front door. Take care and have a wonderful holiday season.

so, like, no perch?

Double darn guys, absolutly awesome. Them is some nice checkers for sure...............Verne

awesome ..hope the big bass are moving back in to the shallows here in sd soon..awaiting my new batch of lc lures soon...

Hi brother Arthur:

I'm glad you ended joining up with Don for a Sunday surf session. You guys more than disciplined, you CONQUERED the enemy big time PLUS...I think this is easily the finest calico whacking report this entire year - just an amazing amount of checkers caught and quality too. I'm glad Don got his PB 23"er so now he's finally legit Well done gentlemen!!!!

PS: BC thinks the 'real' reason Don released his PB is because of lack of equipment. BC told me that if he ever has his life-time ban lifted that he will PM the both of you and invite you to Home Depot when there is a sale on Home Depot orange buckets - his treat
    Last edited by anchor3n1; 11-17-2015 at 10:27 AM. Reason: oops grammar

Job well done guys!
    Glad to see you out on the surf Arthur, the fish miss you bro. Pea Soup even decided to come out in full force and greet you and Don with some beautiful fish
    Don, congrats on the PB man, that sucker looks huge
    And the piercing! how does that happen? I've been stuck on rocks, kelp, mermaids, you name it and its never broke the split ring. Interesting, that fish must have bent you in an awkward position and POW.
    Keep it up guys!

Hi ya Arturo!

It's good to read a session report from you again Sir, you always seem to give your reports that extra special splash!

Good friends, good fishing and good times on a very good bite .... what's not to like?!?!?

I believe that Don won this round of Checkers Commander!

Thanx for the fun read with pictures.

SP Dan <"))><

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast