Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Boat Outboard Question

Default Boat Outboard Question

Good Evening Fellow boaters I Have a quick questions I recently purchased a boat but had to sale the outboard since it was a 2 stroke outboard and all local lakes require a 4 stroke outboard, So my questions is the boat is a 1987 Skeeter 15ft 4 passenger boat, the hull plate says 4 passenger 510 pounds what is the minimum outboard I can get to move the boat around a small lake. Thanks any advice is greatly appreciated.

Well that depends on how small the lake is. I have a 16.5 foot Tracker with a 25 horse. Gets me around Skinner no problem since there is a 10mph speed limit. You could go as low as a 10 horse and get maybe 10mph from it. Lots of guys will tell you to go big or go home, but you did ask for the "minimum" so I'd say 25.
    Last edited by P.A.W.; 11-17-2015 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.W. View Post
    Well that depends on how small the lake is. I have a 16.5 foot Tracker with a 25 horse. Gets me around Skinner no problem since there is a 10mph speed limit. You could go as low as a 10 horse and get maybe 10mph from it. Lots of guys will tell you to go big or go home, but you did ask for the "minimum" so I's say 25.
    Thanks for a response, I was thinking the same thing 25hp but lately I have only found 9.9hp on Craigslist :-(, I think I would mainly be sticking to small lakes like Santa Ana River Lakes and Castiac and lakes with those demographics. And maybe the occasional cruise along Los Alamitos Bay, Dont really want to go into salt water though. Thanks again hopefully I can find a 25hp dont really want to settle for a 9.9

THANKS YOU ALL HAVE BEEN A GREAT HELP!!! I have seen those outboards except the San Diego one that one looks promising, I didn't move forward with the others because they are tiller and the way the boat is it would be kinda awkward but doable to use a tiller motor, Any one ever go from a remote to tiller ???? Thanks Again.

I would recommend a 90HP Evinrude ETEC for the size of your boat. It is the next generation two stroke much lighter than any four stroke and legal to use in any lake in the Country and even in all of Europe. This engine runs cleaner than any four stroke made.

DsrtTortise

I have a 150hp E-Tec and I love it dude, better than a 4 stroke in my opinion.

If you're still looking for an outboard motor, you might want to check out this site. The Suzuki 4 strokes are very light weight and you could possibly get a more powerful

motor.http://onlineoutboards.com/suzuki-25-hp-outboards.html

JH I don't know if you are still looking for an O/B or not??? the same company listed above with an e-mail address is a great company to do business with. No B/S and fast shipping. However I purchased the Tahatsu 20 HP motor with a tiller and electric start. They come up a little since I bought mine but not much. The electric start is great thing to have and they deliver to your door.
    Last edited by one long cast; 05-05-2016 at 12:24 PM.