Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: First Time River Fisher

Default First Time River Fisher

Hi All,

I normally fish the various SoCal lakes targeting LMB and occasionally the stripey kind. A buddy and I were invited to fish the CO river in the Blythe/McIntyre Park area. We're heading out this Friday for the weekend.

I'm riding shotgun in my buddy's boat this time since it's his friends who invited. I have 30+ Plano boxes full of all the usual bass related stuff and really need to narrow it down a bit. I've got the seasonal lake water temp change thing down and the patterns that go along with it, but have no clue how that plays into the river this time of year if there's no deep water.

What I'm really getting at is - any tips on what is should and should not bring? Other tips, etc?

I hear we'll also be targeting some catfish at night so I'm bringing a rod/reel for that & open for instruction here as well.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

A buddy of mine was out there this weekend and was getting lmb and smb on curly buzz frogs on the main river. Fish are active so you are going to have fun.

I would bring pole holder, beer,red bull , snacks, food, smokes, head lamps, big net, big/small hooks, meal worms, night crawler, ice chest, chair, sleeping bag, clothes, hat/sun glasses.

Supposedly 8-12oz weight with a live blue gill
    Worms to catch bluegill
    Shrimp to catch channel catfish
    Bluegill to catch flat heads

Gl hope this helps

Hey there, I'm originally from blythe. Top water and frogs. Flipping bite is always there. Should he awesome fishing. I would stick to backwaters, but flipping the main river should be good also.

Awesome, thanks so much, guys! I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Baja1ab View Post
    Awesome, thanks so much, guys! I appreciate it!

the big flat head will eat bluegill or gold fish and stick to spots where there are either eddy's or pipes extending out from the levy. both should be areas with deeper holes and thats where the big flat heads will hang out.