Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: do trout bite right after being stocked?

Only one thing to remember: if they're not biting 'crawlers, they're not biting. Real 'crawlers, not those pinched things in a jar.

Yeah. If there's shad in there, they likely are chasing them. Sometimes their stomachs are full of shad in my lake a few days after the plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    Only one thing to remember: if they're not biting 'crawlers, they're not biting. Real 'crawlers, not those pinched things in a jar.
    Right on .. keep it old school.
    When the bite get tough crawlers works for me "keep it simple" there is really no science in catching trout they can be biting that day and some days there'r not you have to put the time in no way around it ..lo

You can watch the video and see when it's stocking the nets . Usually it's one tank in main lake and the other two tanks in nets for the weekend . Sometimes two in main lake . Chris pond gets the full stock and no net . Early in the year there is no nets holding fish . Was there this last Friday and had a limit in 15 min . Just gotta fish hard

Back in the days they used to hold them in nets, now they don't unless it's a special occasion (tournament/opener) that's my guess.
    I've always done great on Friday mornings after the Thursday's stocking.

This is fishing experience at SARL:

Early morning I fish 3-6 inch leader and cast out no more than 10ft out. When sun comes up a bit and gets a little warmer, I still fish 3-6 inch leader but would fish it about 15ft out. Trout are a schooling and cruising fish. What they do is cruise in one direction and then they will turn around and cruise back. So if the person next to you get bit, the odds of you getting bit is better IMO. Tailwalkers in my experience tend to hit the color orange and pink more often than chartuese or any other color, that's just me though. Another tip I will give is use mealworms, I don't see many anglers using mealworms for trout fishing. I've had great success with mealworms when nothing else is working. I basically will thread the mealworm on a size 10 baitholder hook and flyline it out and let it sink for about 5-7 seconds (depends how deep the water is where you're fishing) then I will jig it in like a mini-jig doing about 3-5 bounces and then let it sink again and repeat. Most of the fish that I catch with this method will take the mealworm on the drop because it's like a natural sinking food for them.

For locations on where to fish:
    I usually fish the docks, levitz corner, bubble hole or the sandy beach area. But it's fishing, so you really don't know where, when and what they'll bite on. Just bring a variety of bait. One more tip is if you don't get bit for like an 1 hr, I would suggest moving.

I'm no expert but that's what I have been noticing when fishing for trout and hope that helps.

Good luck and tight lines to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuoc Mam View Post
    Back in the days they used to hold them in nets, now they don't unless it's a special occasion (tournament/opener) that's my guess.
    I've always done great on Friday mornings after the Thursday's stocking.

This is fishing experience at SARL:

Early morning I fish 3-6 inch leader and cast out no more than 10ft out. When sun comes up a bit and gets a little warmer, I still fish 3-6 inch leader but would fish it about 15ft out. Trout are a schooling and cruising fish. What they do is cruise in one direction and then they will turn around and cruise back. So if the person next to you get bit, the odds of you getting bit is better IMO. Tailwalkers in my experience tend to hit the color orange and pink more often than chartuese or any other color, that's just me though. Another tip I will give is use mealworms, I don't see many anglers using mealworms for trout fishing. I've had great success with mealworms when nothing else is working. I basically will thread the mealworm on a size 10 baitholder hook and flyline it out and let it sink for about 5-7 seconds (depends how deep the water is where you're fishing) then I will jig it in like a mini-jig doing about 3-5 bounces and then let it sink again and repeat. Most of the fish that I catch with this method will take the mealworm on the drop because it's like a natural sinking food for them.

For locations on where to fish:
    I usually fish the docks, levitz corner, bubble hole or the sandy beach area. But it's fishing, so you really don't know where, when and what they'll bite on. Just bring a variety of bait. One more tip is if you don't get bit for like an 1 hr, I would suggest moving.

I'm no expert but that's what I have been noticing when fishing for trout and hope that helps.

Good luck and tight lines to all.
    Nice good information
    I will definitely give the Fly line meal worm a try! It doesn't get any better than feeling that fish strike your line

Mealworms are deadly for trout. If you can get them to float (blown up like a 'crawler), they're extra deadly. I use a 1/32 oz. bullet sinker pegged with a size BB splitshot that gets the bait far enough out but doesn't bruise the air out of it when it hits the water. Takes a gentle cast to get the worm to float and then stay floating through the cast. My biggest on the grub so far is 11-6, came out of the skinny water in tight, simply exploded when I set the hook.

I went there last Sunday and caught one trout in the smaller lake.

I tried hard too, pulled out all the stops. Very disappointing considering it cost $50.00 for my son and I.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    Mealworms are deadly for trout. If you can get them to float (blown up like a 'crawler), they're extra deadly. I use a 1/32 oz. bullet sinker pegged with a size BB splitshot that gets the bait far enough out but doesn't bruise the air out of it when it hits the water. Takes a gentle cast to get the worm to float and then stay floating through the cast. My biggest on the grub so far is 11-6, came out of the skinny water in tight, simply exploded when I set the hook.
    I have to give this a try marley! i see you like to fish a little old school and my next outing i am buying a pack of those pesky grubs haha

Quote Originally Posted by CityAngler View Post
    I went there last Sunday and caught one trout in the smaller lake.

I tried hard too, pulled out all the stops. Very disappointing considering it cost $50.00 for my son and I.
    Sorry about that but hey it is called fishing!
    i went with my dad last friday and smacked 10 with in 2 hours
    Question which bait were you using ? how far were you casting ? how is your rod set up, such as line and rigs ??
    all of that comes into play and remember trout are finicky about whats out there

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast