Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: EPIC 20 minute tussle results in Dropshot PB. 11/8

Default EPIC 20 minute tussle results in Dropshot PB. 11/8

I'll have to start with day 1, 11/7. I got a late start but conditions were good besides it being a bit windy and really clear water. It Was a long day I worked 2 AO's for 3 hours for a legal calico. Decided to keep at it and hit a 3rd because i saw that the wind had died down.

I arrive and see some surface activity and wade out. Smelts galore then i get a different fight and it knew i had a croaker. 15" hits the sand and this continues for a while. I was using the dropshot and had 8 crows around 15" and a kicker over 17"

Glad i stay and stuck it out.

Day 2: i was hoping to get on the same mid day action at the same lowtide. i had plans so i started early. Hit the sand at 5:30 for the usual suspects. I had 3 legal calicos over the next 4 hours. Also got my first on the Diawa Sinking minnow. I've got them on the floating before but not this one. I'll have to use it more :wink:

I had caught two on a swimbait then i start jigging the shutter which i don't usually do and i get slammed!
    19" calico hits the sand after a ever so fun battle.

I had left some familar faces around 11 am and by this time hangover was setting in and my minimal sleep of 2 hours. I had really wanted to go try and stick a big hali or atleast try to get into the same croaker action i did before. Ate a quick meal and drank a red bull. Walk out first cast i get a bone. Looks like they joined the Same plentiful surface action going on. Croakers are hitting off again. This time i had 10 along with some smelts and bones. All 3 species jumping out of water and even the dolphins further offshore. Mission complete... But then it goes down at the very end of my session.

I get slammed and see my line zip across to the south. Then it starts going straight out and starts spooling me. I'm thinking what the heck is it?!?! Though of WSB but its not swimming fast enough, same with a bat ray. Hhmm. BSB? shark? It pulled drag for atleast the first 5 minutes. I knew i had to play him light or my 1/0 mosquito hook would bend out or my 15lb would brake. I stayed patient and slowly started tightening my drag as my spool got down to around 20% left. I started gaining line as the fish had start moving toward the north. 5 mins later its in the skinny and i see a Big tail! First i though WSB but knew it wasn't right... Then i realize its a HUGE leo!!!!!

It takes off again for another 10 mins or so before i get it back in the skinny again. I see its foul hooked with my line wrapped around the bottom and my fluke pinned on his upper back in front of his dorsal fin. Sketchy!!!!! Remained calm and i back off the drag a little. Phone and camera died. I yelled down to a resident to come help me land the fish and take pictures. It had got even more sketchy when the fish kept getting pulled back in the trench and churned in the waves over and over again. I had off the rod and went for the tail grab. The fish was completely exhausted and this would be my most epic surf catch. I was using 15lb P line CXX and i'm glad it held up same with my mosquito hook.

56" Leo!!!

Woooo!!!!! This is whats its all about. Put in the time and you shall be rewarded. So glad my first big leo was on Light gear instead of the long rod. Thanks for reading guys! Till next tide everyone, have a great week.

That's one nice shark,love the way those leopards look,I've never eaten one,I hear people say there good to eat,just wondering,thanks for the report,wtg!

Cya Tuna Vic

Nice Leo Sean!
    You got me beat by 2", BUT I got mine on 10# P-LIne...
    You are doing a very good job out there in the surf.
    Take Care,
    Robert
    <><

Awesome job out there Sean. The sinking DSM has become a favorite of mine as well. That green mackerel pattern is just simply gorgeous and it casts like a dream when you feel like you need more distance than a 110 series FM will get you for sure. I've caught a ton of calicos on it and a few WSB this year. It also is nice that they only cost 10 bucks!
    Good job on the PB kitty too. A tail snagged leo is the hardest one to land for sure!

Keep up the great work on the sand....

Mike

Nice Leo and checker !

Hey Sean. I enjoyed the report and the fishing was great. What kind of plastic lure is that in the picture of the first croaker?

Great fishing'

Tim

Thumbs up

Beautiful Leo Sean... great job landing it.

surffishingsean,

Congratulations!
    Great job on getting that PB Leo of yours on the sand! Great trophy photo!

My PB Leo was foul hooked at the rear of it's second dorsal fin, closest to it's tail.
    During our confrontation ... I snapped my rod and ended up pulling it in backwards by hand. A very strong fish indeed!!

Thanx for the fish report with pic's!

SP Dan <"))><

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    That's one nice shark,love the way those leopards look,I've never eaten one,I hear people say there good to eat,just wondering,thanks for the report,wtg!

Cya Tuna Vic
    They taste quite good, I ate a few when I lived in the bay area.