Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Striper/Sargo/Croaker/Corvina October 31st NewPort Jetty/Wedge

Default Striper/Sargo/Croaker/Corvina October 31st NewPort Jetty/Wedge

So it was my little brothers birthday and I decided to take the family fishing. The day before Richards Tackle had some bloodworms and lugworms in stock so I got a couple boxes just in case. As usual we approached our usual pier and got a couple of mussels. When we got there the surf was pounding and it took some coaxing to get my father to come with us to the surf. He's really superstitious of the jetty breaking and getting swept away and stuff but I assured him the engineers in the U.S aren't as laid back as the ones in China We were fishing Carolina Rig 1 1/2 ounce sinker using the above baits. The first fish we landed was a striped bass roughly six or more pounds on a lugworm. From 3 am to sunrise it was wide open on Sargo and Croaker using fresh mussels and lugworms. I'm talking about huge Sargo, the Catalina White Sea Bass bite kind, all of them were at least two or three pounds. The only Corvina of the night unfortunately broke off as my brother couldn't see whether or not it was on the shore yet and yanked a little too hard . Overall if you want to get your game on head to the jetty but fish the beach side. We've had the most luck while the tide was receding but none whatsoever with the incoming high tide.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterFisherYY View Post
    So it was my little brothers birthday and I decided to take the family fishing. The day before Richards Tackle had some bloodworms and lugworms in stock so I got a couple boxes just in case. As usual we approached our usual pier and got a couple of mussels. When we got there the surf was pounding and it took some coaxing to get my father to come with us to the surf. He's really superstitious of the jetty breaking and getting swept away and stuff but I assured him the engineers in the U.S aren't as laid back as the ones in China We were fishing Carolina Rig 1 1/2 ounce sinker using the above baits. The first fish we landed was a striped bass roughly six or more pounds on a lugworm. From 3 am to sunrise it was wide open on Sargo and Croaker using fresh mussels and lugworms. I'm talking about huge Sargo, the Catalina White Sea Bass bite kind, all of them were at least two or three pounds. The only Corvina of the night unfortunately broke off as my brother couldn't see whether or not it was on the shore yet and yanked a little too hard . Overall if you want to get your game on head to the jetty but fish the beach side. We've had the most luck while the tide was receding but none whatsoever with the incoming high tide.

Wow nice a stripe bass! Thanks for the report and the info...did you guys walk to the end of the jetty? I have never walked to the end of the jetty because I also think it's dangerous aland I don't know how to swim

Thanks haha. Up to that point I've been skeptical myself because people have reported catching them but I guess they're very real! Oh no, you need a special set of kahunas to walk to the end. I see the waves pound over that jetty daily!

Default Jetty fishing

Hi Masterfisher, so you're the one who bought that 2 box of blood worms at Richards. Sounds like you guys had a blast.

Thanks haha. Up to that point I've been skeptical myself because people have reported catching them but I guess they're very real! Oh no, you need a special set of kahunas to walk to the end. I see the waves pound over that jetty daily!

I have always thought to myself that one day I will walk to end of the jetty but it seems like a very far walk...now that you are telling me that waves are pounding it on the daily, I think I should not because I do not know how to swim lol
    ..thanks for the heads up...how far did you end up going? I remember fishing at night at corona del mar and I would see lights flashing at the very end...my friend and I always wonder what they catch when we see the lights on..
    How was fishing the jetty at 3am...do you think lures would work and did you bait and wait with the c rig?

wat jetty is that if u don't mind sharing ??? regardless just be safe out there.... king harbor can get huge ones that break over and in the 90s newyears day some people drowned I recall when they got knocked over... Cabrillo has ones that break over the wall and into the parking lot aswell

Sounds like a stellar outing, gotta hand it to you....................3:00 am?????? You guys earned it

Haha yup that was me, snagged the last two boxes of blood worms! I feel like the waves are much bigger on Balboa Peninsula. Balboa Peninsula itself is kind of like a secluded island. I've swam around there before and that beach isn't like your typical Huntington or Santa Monica beach. I'm talking about almost instant drop into a trench. It's very deep out there which kind of explains the Sargo. I've seen videos of people on YouTube walking to the midway point near the bait barge and catch halibut. I do think lures or swimbait would work pretty effectively if you fish the inside, not too sure about the outside. Type in The Wedge, NewPort Beach on Google Maps, we were fishing the sand part of it. As a precaution definitely don't go on the jetty if you can't swim. The sole reason why the waves are so big is because of how rapidly the tidal zone goes from deep to shallow.

Seems like a nice session with the family.
    Do you eat all the fish?
    If so, how does the Sargo taste?
    Thanks,
    Robert

Usually we keep some fish for ourselves and give the rest to friends and family. As for the Sargo it tastes excellent. The meat is very tender yet firm and there is a certain sweetness to it. Almost like a WSB fillet only much better in my opinion. I bet you it'll make really good beer batter fish tacos.