Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Wish and they will come!!!!!

Default Wish and they will come!!!!!

I normally don't write up fish reports about trips I wasn't on, but this one was soo good I wanted to write it up. The main character in this report is my fishing partner Glenn, which I feel since I almost exclusively fish with him, his trips and mine are kinda of a team effort. On this trip Glenn and his 2 traveling partners were headed south down into Mexico by vehicle with their destination being San Quentin. Their goal was some exotics, such as Tuna, Yellowtail, Dorado, WSB and maybe even a Wahoo. Unfortunately once they got to San Quentin, the only thing biting was a few Yellowtail and the every present Rockfish.

For Glenn and company that just wouldn't do!!!!

Their plan was to fish on a Panga but not go where everyone else was going. They arranged with the owner of the Panga fleet to head offshore 10-15 miles further out then everyone else had been going. Of course this took greasing the owner with a little more Dinero, but HEY that's what you need to do!!!! (I should mention how I greased up a 220 pound Halibut in Alaska one day on here) lol So off they went, the neat thing about this Panga was how many lines they could troll all at once. (6-8) After a couple of hours of trolling with out getting even a bit, they found a school of Dolphin and they were holding Tuna underneath them. The Panga driver was a young kid about 25, but he knew how to get in front of the Dolphin and troll in a way they would get bit. These were decent size Tuna too, Glenn caught a #28 pounder and a #23 and his buddy's rounded out the day. When they got back to the Landing, they were the only ones who caught any Tuna that day. Needless to say, they slept like conquering hero's.

That plan had worked out so well, they came up with a even better plan for the next day. There is 3 offshore pinnacles out there and they wanted to troll Wahoo lures around them. (even though no one has yet caught any Wahoo from the landing this year) Since the Panga can troll multiply lines they had a whole array of lures out at the same time. They had 2 cow bells (big & little) an orange Marauder and a purple and black Marauder and a couple of feathers. Once they got near the first pinnacle they saw off in the distance a San Diego long range boat fishing. (Red Rooster) He told me that boosted his confidence when they saw him fishing near by. Once they got on top of the pinnacle they started catching a lot of Big Bonito on the feathers. (nice but not what they were hoping for) After many passes over the first pinnacle they got a double hook up and one was on the Marauder. The first fish (Dave's fish) came in pretty fast. It turned out to be a #14 pound Yellowtail, but Glenn's fish was fighting pretty hard. The Panga driver knew enough to keep the boat in gear and moving and not let any slack in the line. They had no idea what it was, after a fair amount of time they had color and it was a Skinny!!!!!! They sunk the gaff into the fish and they had the first Wahoo of the season for that particular landing. After a few more passes around that pinnacle with no more action, they headed off for one of the other pinnacles. This time it was all Wahoo trolling lures off the back of the boat. Once they got to the second pinnacle, they were asking them selves can lighting strike twice?????? No it can't!!!!!! But it can strike 3 times!!!!!!!! Those lucky SOB'S got a double hookup on Wahoo at the second pinnacle. Yes Glenn got his second Wahoo!!!! Don't anybody tell him this, but I'm buying or stealing that Marauder from him!!!!!!! lol So they not only caught the first Wahoo of the season, but they caught 3 of them!!!!! Glenn is a pretty modest guy, but had it been me!!!!!! "I WOULD HAVE RODE INTO THE LANDING LIKE JULIOUS CEASER!!!!!! After those 2 day's of fishing, they came home early!!!! Like Alexander the Great once said, "there is no other known worlds to conquer." lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 10-29-2015 at 09:20 PM.

Good Story, good fish. Wish it were me. Thanks for sharing. Tight Lines!!

25 year old captain?!
    That wouldn't be Kelly's kid, would it?
    Robert
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    25 year old captain?!
    That wouldn't be Kelly's kid, would it?
    Robert
    <><
    I believe Glenn told me it was the owner's son running the boat for them.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 10-30-2015 at 01:00 PM.

That's pretty sweet,Glenns a solid guy,he deserves those great tasting Wahoo!

Cya Tuna Vic