Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Striper in long beach, newport, hunnington?

Default Striper in long beach, newport, hunnington?

Hello All,

I have been watching a lot of videos on surf fishing for stripers. Someone just told me that this is not something I can do at the locations in the title. Are there any big eatable fish other than sharks and rays in our surfs? I don't want to do flounder, halibut or perch, I want something nice size. What are my options for fish from the surf?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h00ker View Post
    Hello All,

I have been watching a lot of videos on surf fishing for stripers. Someone just told me that this is not something I can do at the locations in the title. Are there any big eatable fish other than sharks and rays in our surfs? I don't want to do flounder, halibut or perch, I want something nice size. What are my options for fish from the surf?

Thanks
    I would like to know the answer for this question too but to be honest, everyone is stingy with their spots lol...it is possible to catch stripers in those area but I think it is rare.

Thanks for the reply!!

Well, I'm sure you can catch them but every video i see is near San Francisco and not around these parts. I do hope someone shares a location if they have one. If not Stripe, what other big fish is good eating that i can try for right now? I might be looking for sharks if nothing else. Small fish just don't excite me.

Thanks again for replying!!

striper are rare down here in the surf... its not something you can catch easily and is regarded as a rare prize for the surf fisherman.

Good luck

Hello All,

Thanks
    A 30+ halibut is a nice size, just saying =0)

Like others said, stripers around so. cali is really rare, if that's all you're going to target in the surf then good luck to you. As for any other eatable fish rather than sharks and rays. Yes there's plenty, white sea bass, calico bass, sand bass, bonita, Yellow fin croaker, Spot fin croaker, Sargo, Opaleye and the list goes on. Also what would you consider a nice size? But yeah, if you're strictly reserving yourself to fishing for stripers in the surf, best bet would be up north more.

Also, have you seen the picture of a member holding a huge halibut on the main home page? Now tell me, you don't want to fish for that monster
    Last edited by Nuoc Mam; 10-29-2015 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuoc Mam View Post
    A 30+ halibut is a nice size, just saying =0)

Like others said, stripers around so. cali is really rare, if that's all you're going to target in the surf then good luck to you. As for any other eatable fish rather than sharks and rays. Yes there's plenty, white sea bass, calico bass, sand bass, bonita, Yellow fin croaker, Spot fin croaker, Sargo, Opaleye and the list goes on. Also what would you consider a nice size? But yeah, if you're strictly reserving yourself to fishing for stripers in the surf, best bet would be up north more.

Also, have you seen the picture of a member holding a huge halibut on the main home page? Now tell me, you don't want to fish for that monster
    Thanks for the replies everyone,

I'm very new to fishing so I'm not really aware of the other possibilities I guess. I've been watching a lot of fla tarpon and cali striper videos and I guess I got a little over excited. Well, either way, I spent some money on bucktails, SP minows, etc for stripers. Can I still use these lures on any of the other fish you mentioned?

Also, no I didn't see the pic of the huge halibut, ill look for it.

Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post
    striper are rare down here in the surf... its not something you can catch easily and is regarded as a rare prize for the surf fisherman.

Good luck
    noted and thanks for the reply

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I'm very new to fishing so I'm not really aware of the other possibilities I guess. I've been watching a lot of fla tarpon and cali striper videos and I guess I got a little over excited. Well, either way, I spent some money on bucktails, SP minows, etc for stripers. Can I still use these lures on any of the other fish you mentioned?

Also, no I didn't see the pic of the huge halibut, ill look for it.

Thanks again!!
    Bucktails, SP minnows will work for White seabass, calico bass, bonita, mackerel and halibuts. As for the croakers species, sargo, best bet would be mussel, bloodworms. Just because there isn't an abundant of stripers down here doesn't mean you won't catch one. The main thing is get out there and start fishing. Never know, you might be in the right spot at the right time. An admin of the site by the name of Wingnut has hooked up salmon in the surf as well, so like I said, you never know what you will catch in the surf unless you go out there and try it. Good luck to you out there and always be SAFE

Quote Originally Posted by Nuoc Mam View Post
    Bucktails, SP minnows will work for White seabass, calico bass, bonita, mackerel and halibuts. As for the croakers species, sargo, best bet would be mussel, bloodworms. Just because there isn't an abundant of stripers down here doesn't mean you won't catch one. The main thing is get out there and start fishing. Never know, you might be in the right spot at the right time. An admin of the site by the name of Wingnut has hooked up salmon in the surf as well, so like I said, you never know what you will catch in the surf unless you go out there and try it. Good luck to you out there and always be SAFE

Thanks for the information! Maybe ill see some of you out there soon.

there are millions of stripers here, but they have moved to the fresh water. Grab TO as a guide to show you how to get them in the fresh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast