Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Davy Locker Groupon Deal: Thoughts?

1. Default Davy Locker Groupon Deal: Thoughts?

Hi folks,

Spotted a deal on groupon for Davy Locker out of Newport, 3/4 day for $35. Any thoughts on this? Anyone ever taken one of these? PM is fine. Thanks.

Haven't taken that ride personally, but most I know who have mentioned the larger crowds (to be expected with the discount offered I guess). So this may not be the ideal calico or yellowtail trip, but perhaps more like sculpin or sandbass run. Great boats out of Davey's Locker, I guess it depends what kind of experience you are looking for and of course your budget. If it means Groupon or no trip, then screw it I'm fishing!

Just my 2 cents about Groupon....there are some nice deals to be had through this service based on my experience, but I have also learned that many of the offers can be filed under life's category of "you get what you pay for". For example the room I had once stayed in that had nothing but a couple of throw rugs on the concrete floor and an unfinished plywood board nailed to the wall holding up the flat screen is kinda what I mean....nice room I guess, but definitely still in the ongoing "improvement phase" of construction! lol

PM sent.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

TD
    Last edited by troutdog; 10-26-2015 at 10:19 PM.

Hard to use at Davies when the bite is good. They will say that they are sold out on trips for the next few weeks if you are using groupon. They only take so many on each trip. Most people I know have gotten refunds from Groupon for this reason.

they've been offering this for a few years now... its always a packed boat so get to know your neighbors well... lol... it's hit or miss...

If bite is hot, then your groupon won't do any good because like others said, the landing will say they are full eventhough they aren't. There was also a time when they limited the day you can use it, think it was Tuesday but that always change so best to call. It's a nice deal but boat usually gets overpacked with a lot of novice anglers that don't understand what over/under is and also get a lot more of those that just soak their line ninety degrees from where they're standing haha.

Good luck if you head out.

6. Default

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the feedback. Got the price dropped to $27 after a 20% deal but they are supposedly full for the next few weekends after I mentioned Groupon :) We will see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    Thanks guys. Really appreciate the feedback. Got the price dropped to $27 after a 20% deal but they are supposedly full for the next few weekends after I mentioned Groupon :) We will see what happens
    Brother is actually fishing the freelance as we speak on a groupon deal. Also, they charged him for fuel surcharged as well. Not sure if they charge everyone or maybe just those who use the groupon. Because last time when he went without groupon, there was no fuel surcharge.

FYI guy's, the other boat that takes Groupon is the Southern Cal. (half-day) I can tell you from first hand experience this year, (used it 10 times) there is no draw backs but the crowd!!!!! They take it any time the boat runs, the boat is run by Captain Mitch & Ryan arguably two of the best. Plus the results speak for them selves, I personally caught over 20 Yellowtail this year on that boat. (all 20-30 pound fish) Paying $27 to catch those fish is a dream come true!!!!!

Etucker, I haven't been able to find groupon for the SoCal the last few times I went on that boat. However, I did find them on amazon local!!! $22 check it out. And yup, they take the discount tickets anytime... Best half day in my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by jaggerbub View Post
    Etucker, I haven't been able to find groupon for the SoCal the last few times I went on that boat. However, I did find them on amazon local!!! $22 check it out. And yup, they take the discount tickets anytime... Best half day in my opinion!
    For what ever reason, they suspended selling Groupon and Amazon tickets for the Southern Cal for a few weeks. Groupon just put them back up for sale and I'm glad to hear Amazon local now has them back too. Thanks for the heads up, that's what FNN is all about!!!! It is an amazing little boat!!! (great cook too) lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast