Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Season winding down?

Default Season winding down?

So, went out for a last hurrah on a day and a half that left Friday night on the Endeavor. Reports were a little bleak but there was some fish to be had at the Cortez...pretty much the only game in town. Dropped the pick around 5am on Saturday and started picking around an hour later. First tuna I landed was just shy of 25lb. and ended up being a 1/2lb. short of JP. All but a handful of the tuna landed were rats. The boat ended with around 120 YFT, 18 YT and a lot of other misc. (skippies, bonita, whitefish, rockfish). I was under orders from my boss (wife) not to bring home anymore fish cuz she didn't want to deal with bagging fillets after my last two outings. I tagged the first one cuz it might win JP and tagged the second cuz no one would take it since it was still early. By the time I decked the third, someone finally said they wanted the fish so I started filling his tags. The first bite lasted till lunch, around 1pm. I had over ten YFT to that point, then we made a short move and got on the fish again. By the second bite, I had three other guys asking for fish so I rotated the tagging between them. After the dust had settled, I had over 20 tuna and one big yellowtail that I had disbursed between them. Everything was on 20lb. and a no. 4 hook. We had mostly chovy for bait. Left the grounds by 5pm to make it back to dock early enough to beat a local marathon that was gonna shut down the roads in the morning. We had a great crew with great food and the charter I was on had a REALLY nice group of guys to fish with. It was a great way to finish the season for me...nice and sore!

Temps on the bank were hovering between 69-72 so it looks like the warm water is starting to come down. Might be the beginning of the end of this great run we've had, but who knows. Storms south may just drive more fish up here. Either way, it's been fun!!!!

Tight lines!
    Don
    Last edited by bachiboy; 10-26-2015 at 11:39 AM.

Nice write up Don. Sounds like you had a great time out there and the bachi curse is restricted to land once again....lol

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Nice write up Don. Sounds like you had a great time out there and the bachi curse is restricted to land once again....lol
    Actually, there was a guy standing near me who was high-sticking a rod and busted it in half! Not sure that could be attributed to me though...then again...

Thumbs up

That's one heck of a last hurrah trip Don.
    We still have lots of Yellows out there... and maybe it's time to chase Stripers in the surf.
    Thanks for the YFT fillets... YUMMY!

Winter yellowtail will be epic.

Hey Don:

That sounds like a great fishing excursion. Some of the guys I've talked to lately have been going out and getting only just a few . You nailed em'!!! WTG brother.

slayed em Don. still need my first tuna and yt badly. wish I didnt lag it earlier in the season.

Nice trip Don. Winding down but not over yet.

1/2 day boat Redondo Special wed before the wind caught : 49 Yellowtail 20 Calico Bass for 17 guys.
    ETuckers favorite boat and captain. Redondo bait barge finally opened up with nice anchovies.
    The water is still warm and as it cools the fish could head inshore before they go south.
    Be ready.

Long range report;
    A buddy just got back from a 5 day on the Royal Polaris and they fished Guadalupe.
    Many fish and he got a 91 lb YFT. Lots of Tuna and Dorado and they got to see Giant Great Whites
    The island had been closed for fishing last few years and they opened it up again.