Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 10/21/15 DVL LMB and SMB

Default 10/21/15 DVL LMB and SMB

Fished the first half day. Water is still very very clear. Slight breeze. No electric motor or meter today. Got a basic Lund.

Spent a little too much time chasing the topwater bite at o'dark. Make the first nice strike count cause the fish are very spooky. Followed up missed strikes with a nail weighted TR tiny fluke for a few bumps. There are some nicer grade fish mixed in with the nursery. Surprising actually.

Mid morning I fished some of the north side points/ledges with the jumbo TR worm for nada in about 20-30 feet of water.

Late morning fished the DS on some of the vertical stuff and caught a bunch of 2-3 lb keepers in 20-40 feet. When you see the cruisers, back out to the outside deeper water and pick at it. Hate the DS but it can save the day.

Caught what I believe to be my PB small mouth at 4-5 lbs. For scale, that BPS bag is the largest they make.
    Beautiful light brown with some dark yellow mixed in. The fish was FAT. A few fish were coughing up silversides or shad during the fight. The bite is still tough but there is a nice pick if you got the patience and slow down. From the activity I saw, the fish appear to be more on the small bait vs. gills.

As an aside, I may have caught one of those weird smallmouth largemouth cross breeds Kwin was talking about months back on the Perris spotted bass thread. Shorter and stout with the mouth of a smalley and Florida markings. Drag burners on 6 lb for sure. Were hanging out in the deep with the above smallmouth.

See the lamprey scar in the second photo ? ;)
    Last edited by Stinkbait; 10-22-2015 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks for the report!
    Congrats on the pb!

I cant wait to get back on that lake!

Last week the dock workers said Nov. for completion of the extension. HOWEVER.....we will need rain for the lake level to come up many feet so the extension can actually be used. Pray El Niņo!

Beautiful smallie! Congrats on the pb, certainly one of the biggest I've seen pulled out of DVL. I've caught many 1-2lbers, good to know there's some larger models out there. Also wanted to personally thank you for single handedly trying to keep this forum alive while the private boaters are itching to get back on the lake, it's really appreciated by us shore anglers and renters.

Sure man. Would love it for shore reports to flood this place. From the ramp now i would walk left. There is no more third cove to the right. Mostly just grass fields with a couple smaller pts. If we get another good warm spell, walking right with a chatterbait or swim jig....oh my!
    Last edited by Stinkbait; 11-03-2015 at 08:04 PM.

I used to almost always go to the right of the ramp, but because the coves are all gone I've actually rented a boat more times this season than ever before. It's sad to see all the great structure and rockpiles that were once underwater now high and dry. Btw, sent you a pm.