Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Looking for tips on Calico

Default Looking for tips on Calico

Im looking to get more out of the harbor and start fishing more kelp beds. Any tips? ill most likely be launching tomorrow am out of Point Loma or Mission Bay.

Anything helps at this point!

Don't see anyone responding to you and not sure what kind of tip you were looking for. This is probably too late now but maybe it'll be helpful on your next trip...I usually do cattle boat calico bass fishing. 20lb line and 1/2 oz sinker - 2 oz depending on current. size 1 hook or 1/0 hook. for anchovy and 1/0-2/0 for sardine or strip squid. Cast toward kelp and let it drop all the way to the bottom while you're in free spool but make sure you're ready to set the hook quick cuz those damn calicos are quick! You can nose hook anchovy/sardine or belly hook them.

Lures that work for me include: big hammer from 3-7 inches (I like Christmas tree color) on a 1/2oz or 3/4 oz. cast and retrieve and change speed/jerk if needed. Also dropping a fluke on a half oz on light line (8-10lb) down around/on kelp all the way to the bottom work well for number and sometime a monster will get on as well.

Good luck!

-Jake