Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellowfin, Yellowtail, Rockfish and Lingcod. What a Sunday on the Kolo! 10/11

Default Yellowfin, Yellowtail, Rockfish and Lingcod. What a Sunday on the Kolo! 10/11

Whats up #FishingNetworkNet? I had a awesome time at the HG7 event last Saturday. Thank you SWAT for putting it all together, we had so much fun.

I get a message from my boy Arthur (Wingnut) asking if I wanted to go chase some tuna with him and Binh (Badbeat) aboard the fish slaying vessel, The Kolomona, with Captain Jeff (Webmaster) on Sunday October 11th.

We met and launched from Long Beach at 3 AM. After filling up the bait tank with some nice sized sardines, we made our way past the break water and started our journey to the Osborne Bank.

We got to the Osborne Bank by the crack of dawn and I woke up to the commotion of Arthur tugging on something that appears to be pretty big. Eventually the Commander lands a good size Yellowfin Tuna roughly about 25lbs. The Kolomona landed the first tuna of the day on a live sardine.

After that fight, I decided to soak a sardine for awhile, when all of a sudden my reel starts ripping and I set the hook and the drag.

Fish on!

With the drag burning, I fight her for a couple of minutes before Art helps me gaff and land our second Yellowfin for the day. While all this was happening, Jeff managed to get some pretty cool under water footage of the fight (video will be posted by Jeff a little later.)

After awhile, the bite started dying down, so we headed to the nearby Santa Barbara Islands to kill some Rock Fish. We caught toad Salmon Groupers and Reds on dropper loops with sardines on the hook and bounced jigs on the ocean bottom. My brother Binh reeled up a true monster of the deep, a 22 lbs Ling Cod on a Megabait jig. His personal best. Congrats bro! After decimating the rock fish population (within our limits of course), we trekked our way back to Catalina Island. We trolled Catalina for fun picking up a few rat Yellowtails along the way.

To add to the successful fishing trip, the weather was beautiful with clear sunny skies and a slight breeze. There wasn't a white cap in sight and everyone had a blast. A great day on the water with great friends. I couldn't ask for more. Special thanks to Jeff for another memorable trip on the Kolo. Let's do some hooping next!

I forgot to mention that during the early morning hours a Flying Fish flew out of the water and hit Arthur right in the chest and knocked itself out.
    I think that was a good omen on a good day for us.

The Commander's YFT.

Santa Barbara Islands. Rockfish Heaven!

We caught a few of these tasty White Fish.

Monster Ling!

22 lbs on the Boga Grip.

Look at those teeth.

Commander Wingnut and the Webmaster.

Badbeat and Captain of the Fish killing machine, the Kolo.

Cutting up the prize.

Of course, our customary bowl of Pho after every fishing trip.

Thanks for reading everybody, until next time, peace!
    Last edited by ToadHunter; 10-12-2015 at 10:04 PM.

That was alot of fun guys. That Ling was fugly, lol
    Thank you Jeff for another successful outing on the Kolo.
    Arthur and Quang, let's do it again soon.

wow... talk about living the dream.

Congrats on a great outing ! Thats one toad Linger!

That was some trip,great report and pics,I really like those knee pad rails on that fishing platform,the way that skipper and fishing rig produce they must come in handy!
    That was one nice ling along with the rest of your day's total,WTG!

Cya Tuna Vic

Awesome Slayage ! Nice mix of quality and quantity..

Awesome, great report!!! WTG guys!!!!

Great job on the YFT, LC, and mixed bag.
    Wahoo next ?
    DR

Thumbs up

Now that was a lot of fun!
    Too bad we couldn't get any Anchovies... the Tuna were keyed in on smaller baits. But we did get a couple.
    We more than made up for it with the bottom fish massacre.
    Binh, that Ling was the biggest I've ever seen caught live... what a Beast.
    Quang, nice to fish with you again bro, glad you had a good time at HG7.
    Jeff, as always, you spoil us with your hospitality aboard the Kolomona. Let's do some hooping soon!

I took my Tuna to Vu's house (VuDoo). His wife is an amazing chef... check out dinner.

Awesome guys. Good job on the fish as always. The sashimi and poke looks amazing! Enjoy the video.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast