Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Santa Monica Pier 10/8/2015

Default Santa Monica Pier 10/8/2015

Hit up Santa Monica Pier at roughly 7 and left at 10. There were roughly 6-8 people hoop netting for lobsters. I was skunked but the only lobster caught for the duration I was there was short one on market squid near the right side using a ambush promar net. Other than that na da. Very very little mackerel and everything else slim picking. One shovlenose guitar fish caught. I used salmon heads. As a precaution should steer clear of Santa Monica. The seaweed is thick and it destroys your nets and stinks up your car. Water quality is piss poor as well which I suppose should be good but didn't develop into anything tonight.

Darn no bounties from the sea. Do you have much success when you hoop from piers? I get the impression that the lobsters around there are usually overfished or are short.

Most of the piers are over fished and produce tons of shorts. Redondo Pier feels like the last semi good sanctuary where you can actually get consistent action as well as keepers. If you really want lobster though and don't mind spending a little dough, I recommend the Slammer out of Redondo Sport fishing. The captain is currently running the Indian but I'm pretty sure with enough pressure he will be glad to cater his services with you. He knows his stuff and will surely put you on top of these bugs. Best of luck!