Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SF-Sean's Behemoth Calico. Solo sesh yields PB! 10/8

Default SF-Sean's Behemoth Calico. Solo sesh yields PB! 10/8

Brakes fixed in my mom's Van. Time to go fish. Hit the sand at 6:15. Bit of a swell with moderate salad but the intervals were workable. I was greeted by a School of cuda working the bait in the dark. WO on them and had a nice thump close in on a study retrieve. Maybe a crow. The have been disappearing right as the sun rises and the cuda stop jumping. The ones ive caught recently have been really early in the morning. The sun rise was epic and bright ruby red that faded out an amazing orange.

Got a few hali including this 20" that didn't want his picture taken. Haliwave! wave came and washed up backpack and washed away my tape. Good thing i have more at home! :) Thought to myself Damn maybe thats a sign.

Big mama sent a child to investigate then a teen and an older brother.

Getting used to that Shutter smile. I also picked up a flying smelt right as my lure had hit the water. and a bonito on the swim bait.

I missed 2 grabs and work around and get a sublegal calico off the dropshot. First fish off the dropshot. I can definitely see its potential l. I should have explored this tech earlier.

I would back to get a huge grab in between a giant swell 10-15 cranks in. Rippin drag!!! First i'm thinking big calico. Then i start to think legal wsb since it hasn't stopped running. Violent thumps and it starts going right. I thought i got hung up for a second because i couldn't move him for a little. It keeps coming in very slowly still taking small runs and headshaking. I had to do 3 slight drag adjustments during the battle because i simply couldn't pull the fish with the drag i was using. Before i knew my Behemoth calico flash in front of me. The precious beauty had given in and the swell had just died momentarily and it became to perfect opportunity to slide the beast on the sand. Off the spoon!

Did some measurements at home so i'm going to say around 25" I knew it had my 23" beat.

The Behemoth!!!!!

Bent hook. Was hooked inside the lower jaw.

Fought like a champ i really can't say enough. Put my other big bass to shame. Woooooo! Went to work a happy man. Thanks for reading guys!

Nice calico! Congrats on your new pb....

What a beast! Congrats...

Awesome fish Sean!!! Sometimes a bit of a swell helps put those checkers on the chew. Way to pull out a PB!!!

Congrats!!!
    Don

Beautiful toad calico Sean. I recently was fortunate enough to hang two that size and when they get that big they are amazing in a freakish way. Kinda like footballs with fins. Solid 8lb fish.
    Solo sessions will always provide you with more elbow room for sure and peace of mind that your memorable spots wont get ran over by the gang as well. Pretty good pics considering you were by yourself.

Hi Sean

I'm so glad that you got a big boy calico from the surf - excellent job my frurnd

Thank you for the excellent write up too. I was there when bones hooked and landed one of his two critter calicos so I could imagine how awesome the fight and the realization was when you landed your big dood

Take care,

Nick

That's a very impressive calico from anywhere,much less the surf,very nice congrats!

Cya Tuna Vic

That's an epic session ! Congrats.

Congrats on that toad PB calico, thanks for posting up....sweet looking spoon, what kind is it?

TD

Troutdog: shutter spoon 3/4 oz it catches everything off the surf and definately has its situational use.

Nick: Thanks for the comment. I'm glad i have too. Calico fishing is one of my favorite types of fishing to do off the beach. Yep i remember the report of bone's tanks and your first WSB! I almost couldn't believe it was a calico because of the weight but i kept telling my self it had to be!

Mike: Thanks bro. You got two in a very short time frame. Gotta love the elbow room. Yep this thing reminded me of a football forsure lol

Don: Yep ive noticed that too! Pre swell they always seem to be on the chew on an outgoing tide when they have already have had time to hunker down in the strucutre.

Thanks everyone else! :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast